twitching

C1234
C1234 Posts: 26
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I've noticed that after a good fast ride, once I've rested, watered, fed and relaxed, my leg muscles are twitching all over. I can't feel it happening so its not uncomfortable, but it looks quite alarming to watch: its lots of tiny spasms that seem to ripple at random all over may calves and thighs. It can stay that way overnight and well into the next day.

Has anyone else noticed this? and is it something to be concerned about?

Comments

• C1234 wrote:
    I've noticed that after a good fast ride, once I've rested, watered, fed and relaxed, my leg muscles are twitching all over. I can't feel it happening so its not uncomfortable, but it looks quite alarming to watch: its lots of tiny spasms that seem to ripple at random all over may calves and thighs. It can stay that way overnight and well into the next day.

Has anyone else noticed this? and is it something to be concerned about?

I think that in most cases this hyper-excitability of muscle tissue is caused by electrolyte or acid/base disturbances in and around the muscle tissue. There are heaps of folk remedies -- take salt, avoid salt, stretch more, stretch less, magnet in the bed (!), etc.

There are a few diseases, sometimes quite serious, that show up as twitching and spasm of the muscles. So it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out. But if you only get it as a result of exercise, and always in the same muscles, it's unlikely to be pathological.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Yeh I get this. Its quite intriguing to watch isn't it! I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy the strange spectacle!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I had this last night after an intense roller session. I wouldn't worry as long as you don't cramp up - I had a cure-all banana after the session so I was ok ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I get the twitching on my calves all the time but really more active after a big run. I noticed this twitching 15 or so years ago and its not got any worse(or better) so its probbaly nothing to worry about.
    Brian B.
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    They are called fasciculations. nothing to worry about so long as you have no other symptoms. I get them all the time.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.