xc loop at Aston Hills

Chalky76
Chalky76 Posts: 260
edited May 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

Did the xc loop yesterday at Aston Hills with a mate and we struggled massively with both the roots and the grip in places (mostly chalky corners). My local trails have roots, but not much, but even so I can usually glide over them ok, but yesterday was a nightmare and I came off twice in a matter of minutes, and my mate came off once as well.

Really knocked my confidence and found my back wheel skidding on nearly every root we came across. My Nobby nics seemed constantly full of this chalky mud and only shredded bits on the odd quick section.

Conditions were a bit damp but not too bad, and the DH lads seemed to be tearing up their sections.

I accept I may not be technically up to it but found it a real struggle to get round and in the end not enjoyable. Any tips or advice or should I just stick to my local, grippier trails!!

Cheers :(
ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/

Comments

• jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Don't worry mate, your not the first :wink:

My advice to you would be to watch some of the other riders. There are so many lines you can take at Aston so have a look at the other guys and see what there doing.

Also, get your tyres sorted, I couldn't offer any advice in that department because I ride the DH there, but I'm sure someone will know a suitable tyre for your need, you can always ask the other guys what they find works when you next go down.

As for technique, you've just gotta stay relaxed, if the back wheel slips, let it. It should find traction again and you'll be on your way (thats where the good tyres come in :wink:)

You have to remember that the first part of the loop is the Red DH run, so its gonna be challenging, but it will bring you technique along not end as you learn to tackle each section.

In a few months, if your lucky, well have a nice long spell of sunshine and the trails will dry up so the roots shouldn't be such a problem, but until then its trail and error i'm afraid.

Cheers,

PS As for the DH lads tearing it up, thats because they are running dual ply tyres in a nice soft compound at sub 20psi (well thats how I get by anyhow) If you weren't climbing back up again I'd recommend you get some. :)
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Roots are a bit of a prob at Aston hill I got a seperated shoulder there last year :oops: But as its my local it does help bring on your root riding technique no end after you've had a fall or two on them :)
    Imho the Xc loop could do with a bit off a change round on some spots just because soil erosion on some lines has made the roots a bit too exposed ! But now the Hill has a new club hopefully things like that will be adressed 8)
    Still GOTA LOVE THE HILL
  • Chalky76
    cheers lads - I'm sure I will be back as my mate has moved just round the corner so I'll give it another go soon

• steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    The XC loop at Aston Hill has been severely knackered by the demo day. Due to the early snowfall and warm afternoon and the amount of riders there, the trail got churned and churned and loads of roots became exposed. My thoughts would be that the top layer of chalky soil is probably only just covering a very soft underlayer which is why your tyres are clogging so quickly. I took a Yeti around the XC loop on the demo day and ended up pushing the bike back to the start with the rear wheel 'locked' due to so much clay/mud/leaf debris jammed in the stays - even after stopping and clearing it twice on the same single loop!

But damp chalk is like ice, especially as you try using grip on it around a berm/corner etc.

Give it a few more weeks to dry out and it should be a lot better!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I was thinking of checking it out for the first time this week or next, but I don't think I'll bother having read this.

:(
  • Chalky76
    Chaka,

What steelo says makes sense though, as my friend was at the demo day. If it wasn't so worn down and still a bit slippery it would be a nice ride

• Chaka Ping
    I'm thinking of popping over there later today, anyone been since the sun came out? I presume it's nice and dry by now?
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Give it a miss for a few weeks they are logging there atm and tbh if screwed the xc course right up :(
  • Chaka Ping
    OK, cheers for the good word. I'll stick to the local woods for this afternoon then.

Shame, I'm hungry for some fresh singletrack.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Just ride any of the local trails around Aston Hill, i.e. wendover, chesham, tring etc. All the hills around the area have excellent trails, I ride them all the time. Aston Hill is just a short loop or trail that you have to pay to ride. AH is good for the downhill course but the XC loop is definitely nothing to rave about, certainly nothing like Wales or the 7stanes.

IMHO - give it a go, but remember that the best trails are the ones you shouldn't have to pay for!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Chaka Ping
    I've only been riding down that way once before - to ride on the Ridgeway years ago. Are the trails you mention easy to find?

Where would you suggest starting from if I were driving there?