XC tyre for hard pack / fire roads / some tarmac

el_presidente
el_presidente Posts: 1,963
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
if you good people could recommend me some options please?

I ride a Stumpy hardtail

thanking you
<a>road</a>

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked at the Schwalbe racing ralph?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    yeah that was a thought

cheers Nick
    <a>road</a>
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Racing Ralph would be ideal.Buy them on ebay or one of the German sites,to get them cheap though.Also look at Panaracer Razers.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    ALso take a look at Conti Speed Kings.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • thought I'd stay within this old thread-

does anyone run the racing ralph or speed kings on the road regularly? I'm thinking about running my current road bike (old Kili mag mtb frame with rigid fork) as a kind of 'cross' bike as I do sometimes do a bit of off road on it with the current slicks (only on dry, flat track) but need more grip; however, it'll prob still be doing 75% road, so will need good rolling speed and not rip up too quickly!
    I realise it's going to be a trade off, but if i'm going to do it it may as well be fairly good off road so I can take it being a bit more sluggish on the road.

any other recommendations welcome, thanks!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I often run mine on the road.Racing Raphs are noticeably better on tarmac than all all but slicks,but you`ll wear out a lot quicker if you regularly run on tarmac.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    thought I'd stay within this old thread-

does anyone run the racing ralph or speed kings on the road regularly? I'm thinking about running my current road bike (old Kili mag mtb frame with rigid fork) as a kind of 'cross' bike as I do sometimes do a bit of off road on it with the current slicks (only on dry, flat track) but need more grip; however, it'll prob still be doing 75% road, so will need good rolling speed and not rip up too quickly!
    I realise it's going to be a trade off, but if i'm going to do it it may as well be fairly good off road so I can take it being a bit more sluggish on the road.

any other recommendations welcome, thanks!

Schwalbe Furious Freds might be better suited to your needs, or FF rear RR front.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    specialized crossroads armadillo elite,

good for dry hardpack and good on road, loose surfaces feel like ice which is quite fun heh and on mud completly useless. if you're not riding up hills in mud or loose stuff they should be ok. oh and no punctures :) really a summer tyre for road riding on the way to the dry trail.

i'm might try specialized the captain armadillos next as they look like they'll be better on loose climbs for me.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    My Hutchinson Piranhas are ideal for hardpack, fire roads and tarmac. They're a lightweight semi-slick - and you might pick them up cheaper than the Schwalbe or Conti tyres mentioned, since they're less popular.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Nobby Nic + Racing Ralph on my Stumpy, only had 1 weekend on them but they faired fantastically. Very narrow for the advertised width though, I ordered 2.25"s and was a bit worried they'd be too wide. Bizarrely they're quite a bit narrower than the 2.1" Resolutions I had on there.

I do swap them for slicks during the week though, they're far too soft to do many miles on.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Just bought some Maxxis High-Roller semi slicks from CRC, they're wick! Waffle/file pattern centre section but big knobs on the shoulders for cornering. Just given them a quick spin up the street and they seem really quick so we'll see how they go!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic