Llandegla.

DanEvs
DanEvs Posts: 640
edited May 2008 in MTB rides
Just wondering if anyone on here does much at Llandegla?

Comments

• scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    its on my doorstep bit ive only been once, I nearly died, a couple of times. :lol:

Cracking trail centre, cafe, shop and amenaties. the place was packed when i went so didnt really get the most of the trail. Hope to go back soon.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    I always find that no matter how full the car park is, i rarely see anyone else on the trails.
    Excellent trails up there. I highly recommend it.
  • DanEvs
    I tend to do it once or twice a week with a mate of mine and I see a lot of people as I go around.

Brilliant trails but a little artificial feeling at times.
  • scale20
    yeah, my mate took me there one weekend not long back and it was heaving there. I think we got the one space that was left in the car park.

The trail itself was packed, the usual groups of riders bunching up at the top of downhills or at the end of them, and at one part, where you come off a bridge onto some cracking downhill? there was a load of people pushing bikes up it the wrong way, the whole place was mad free for all on the trail. Ive not let it put me off though, was just one of those days!

was the first time id done north shore too!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Sikora
    The only bits that feel artificial to me is the hardpack at the begining. The rest is pretty much mud.
    Small price to pay to know where your going though. I'd get lost in the wilderness of a natural trail.

I hated the North shore on the Red trail. Its not for me.
  • scale20
    I found the hard pack good to start with, gives you a bit of a warm up and gets the old knees working properly befor you hit the mad stuff. Lots of jumps there too
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i went there a few weeks back and had a blast, thing i forgot though was that every downhill has an uphill, those up hills take alot longer than than the downs.

i found the boardwalk sections a bit daunting to say the least.
  • scale20
    It is a cracking trail and like i say im not writing it off because of a bad day there, ill deffo be back, some propper shiny stuff in the shop there :lol:

your right about the boardwalk though, it was a little wet when we did it and it was like riding on ice
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • DanEvs
    I fell off the left hand side (high side) of the big shore section while wheelying my old Genius carbon (clipped in which turned out to be the problem.) :(

Landed on my head. :roll:
  • scale20
    that had to sting?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • DanEvs
    I was more annoyed than anything, the kids stood watching found it hilarious. :roll:
  • Sikora
    The flat North Shore section was fine. Its just the later sections made from whole logs that i didn't like.
  • DanEvs
    Sikora wrote:
    The flat North Shore section was fine. Its just the later sections made from whole logs that i didn't like.

Amen to that.

It's worse at the moment as most of the chicken wire is worn away and you tend to be riding on polished logs. Yummy.
  • scale20
    yeah thats the bit i was on about! they could do with getting the chicken wire out.I nearly came off a couple of times there
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Anonymous
    i know that i can ride in a straight line on a 18inch wide trail anywhere else but as soon as i get to those logs, i sh!t my pants and just cant manage it!!
  • scale20
    :lol::lol::lol:

know exactly where your coming from
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I hate the section of north shore (logs) on the red route as the chicken wire has gone in some places and your wheels spin on the logs when it’s wet.

I found out the hard way and fell off there and broke my arm.

Still love the place with its fast rolling trails and you can ride them as hard or soft as you like.

Weekends get up to a thousand visitors but with the size of the place the trails still remain mostly empty as you get a good spread of people throughout the forest.

The climb at the start is a true test of your fitness, what keeps you going is the thought of all the fun you will be having on the way back down.

One other thing , they serve the best breakfast in Wales in a recent tourist board poll.
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    I went there last year and really enjoyed it. I didnt even mind the hard pack uphill to start with - sure it went on for a bit but I didnt have to stop and push which made anice change...!

Also my first decent experience of propper dirt jumps / table tops. Rode the black route no probs. There is a long uphill bit with switchbacks on that I decided to just push upand was knackered towards the end of the day but all in all Iloved it.

I think the trick with the northshore is to carry as much speed and be as smooth as poss and you should be fine - but toally agree about the bit where it is actual logs attached to each other was v bumpy and grip was v low

cant wait to get back there.
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    Going tomorrow the saturday to put my newish Patriot 6.6 trough its paces.
  • Anonymous
    i went a couple of weeks ago and decided to grow a set, i manage to complete the logs section and was very chuffd with my self, made it an ace day out
  • Anonymous
    I go there very nearly once a week.
    Grow some cahones people, yes the log section is tricky (worse than anything on the black in my opinion) but it's there to challenge you.
    If you don't want to be technically challenged, take up road cycling.
  • scale20
    I did complete the log section, a little weary of it, and my hoop gripping the saddle!! I think the fact it was raining on the day didnt make it any better tho!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I've been there once and had such an awesome ride. really great fun to ride but it felt so very artificial which was a shame and i can't even remember the first climb people talk about :?
    how does the climb compare to somewhere like afan or cwmcarn?
  • Anonymous
    I've not ridden afan or cwmcarn, but the first climb at llandegla really isn't that bad.
    What makes it tough going I think is that you're straight into it without warming up or anything. There's more severe climbs later on in the trail but they don't seem as bad, if you see what I mean.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I see what you mean but if you wanna get straight into a climb try innerleithen in scotland :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    The old Red bull climb in coed y brenin was always a killer, straight from the car park, for miles!
    doesn't seem as bad now that you get a bit of a warm up in crossing the road from the new center!
  • dhxcme
    Did the logs with a little bit of slipping and sliding.
  • scale20
    I see what you mean but if you wanna get straight into a climb try innerleithen in scotland :twisted:

or Penmachno!!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Sikora
    I don't think the climb at the beginning compares with the one on the Blue/Red just after the recently clear felled area.
    Must admit its a lot easier on my Rockhopper than my old Scott Voltage though :oops:
  • dhxcme
    The first climb is tedios but my patriot handles it fa better than my Hitman did just because i can pedal sitting don nstead of standing up. The first time I only had the 223 and boyy that was hard work in all directions.