Coast to Coast

neilboston
neilboston Posts: 2
edited April 2008 in MTB rides
Hi all,

In June and July, I, with a group of friends will be doing the Coast to Coast ride from St Bees Cumbria to Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire (www.bigbikeride.net)

Has anyone done it before or got any advice?

Cheers, Neil.

Comments

• Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    Great choice. The original hikers route. Forget Whitehaven (where I live) to Sunderland. If you're going via Keswick and of less than reasonable fitness then definitely take your time, there is a LOT of hills and a Pass to go through, either Honister or Whinlatter, the latter being much easier but less scenic.
    spammer
  • colsibob
    colsibob Posts: 57
    We are also thinking of doing this .

Can anyone recommend a 3 day route that takes in some off roading.

Also intereseted to hear what gear people take.
    We are thinking of doing b&b,s on route and maybe buying some saddle bags for carrying gear

Thanks
    Col
  • A group of us do the C2C every year we do the Sustrans Route which encompasses 65% Road 35% Off road. The route starts at St Bees and finishes at Tynemouth. I have plenty of info PM me if you want a copy.

Regards

Iain
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I did the Whitehaven - Sunderland route a couple of years back and it was probably 50/50 road / off road.

It took us 2 1/2 days and is quite easy with good fitness. Still a nice sense of achievement at the end.
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    Doing the same coast to coast, starting from cumbria in june. Doing it with work - will hopefully raise around £60k for charity.

Got my bike sorted for road with bar ends, slicks etc. Also been doing 35mile training rides with plenty of hills in. Doing a british heart foundation event in the cotswolds on the 18th of May and I think thats 40 miles. Should be fun!

Just trying to get the fitness up otherwise it will be hell (doing it over 2 days). I think the route is 140 miles all in.