Beecraigs country park

firey1509
firey1509 Posts: 29
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
I was over at Beecraigs Country park walking my dog at the weekend. Seemed to be some interesting little routes for a bike. Anyone got any experience?
Some days you are the statue but some days you are the pigeon!

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Beecraigs route reviewed in Cycling Plus this month.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Beecraigs route reviewed in Cycling Plus this month.

Road or offroad?
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Road. But it can be mixed with canal paths and farm tracks to provide an interesting circuit. I will check Beecraigs on Memory Map to see the lie of the land.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Road. But it can be mixed with canal paths and farm tracks to provide an interesting circuit. I will check Beecraigs on Memory Map to see the lie of the land.

Fairly flat

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?source=ig ... a=N&tab=wl
  • firey1509
    firey1509 Posts: 29
    I was looking more for off road within the park its self. It's not the roughest terrain I've ever been in but I'm sure someone must know the hidden gems in there. Thanks for the help so far.
    Some days you are the statue but some days you are the pigeon!
  • oily67
    oily67 Posts: 24
    I've walked thru most of Beecraigs with the family & mutt in tow. There do seem to be a few places that appear interesting at first glance. Some of the trails ridden on horseback look appealing but seem very cut up & muddy. Plus, the thought of being on the receiving end of a hoofing from a startled horse doesn't sound like fun to me :shock:
    There are a few spots that have potential though ......wanna go have a word with the council :?:
    2008 Rockhopper

2009 FSR XC Comp
  • there used to be a red route and a blue route (not in the same vein as glentress etc) think it was just to give them a title and there was an ATB route, this was way back in the day, easy 10 years ago. nothing to strenuous but good fun nonetheless

i was actually googling it at the moment too see if it was still possible to get in with bikes for that reason, hence why ive added to this old post
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Due to Scottish Access laws I believe that they removed the signs specifying which routes were specific for biking & horse riding........... all routes are now open for any use with the clause of "responsible" access.
  • Just back from a quick explore of the trails at Beecraigs, good fun despite the huge amounts of mud! None of the trails I was on seemed especially technical, but then I'm no expert anyway, so it was great for my level of ability and I'll certainly be back :)

I think the red and blue routes are just different walks within the core bit of the park, the MTB trails are away from the main thoroughfares.
  • might head along just for old times sake
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    I've been to Beecraigs a few times with people who know it well. If you know where you are going (which I don't as I was just following the wheels) there are a few trails through the woods which are reasonably challenging. Kind of rooty and muddy old school stuff like Drumlanrig.
    I have pain!
  • Magpie9
    Magpie9 Posts: 48
    I live half an hours ride away from beecraigs so used to be up there at least once a week for a couple of years. We got to know our way around the place so reckon there aren't any trails I haven't been down or helped to build.
    There are quite a few routes throughout the forest and you can link them together pretty well if you know where you are going. There are some bits that are really quite technical as well as muddy slides and the occasional smooth fast downhill.
    There were some very bad storms a couple of years ago that destroyed some of the better trails, but luckily the ranger is into his biking too and is ok with us building new trails and even does some himself.
    I would recommend following the road up the hill past the play park to the back of the forest and turning right. The best trails start from here and there are a few wee jumps and drop-offs. If anyone wants more details just drop me a PM.