decreasing metabolism/increasing energy levels

jase874
jase874 Posts: 19
edited April 2008 in Health, fitness & training
hi, after reading the "riding and weight training" thread it got me wanting to start weight lifting again, im always wanting to start again but just dont feel i have the energy.

im only about 5'7" :( and 9 stone/65KGs and 20 yrs old, never put on a pound

i understand that eating cereal every morning gets the metabolism going, on monday i started to make my portions of crunchy nut' smaller and the plan is to eventually stop having anything to eat on a morning in the hope that my metabolism will slow and i will have increased energy levels as i wont be burning off whatever i do eat the second i start to chew it!

does anyone know if this is a waste of time or if it will work?

and just to note the other reason my energy is always low is because i dont like alot of foods or cooking, (not in one meal just in general i usually eat).... beans, frozen potatoes and chips, frozen chicken things in batter or breadcrumbs, sausages, frozen veg which comes in a small bag as a portion and as i said earlier crunchy nut cornflakes for breakfast and ive recently started to buy 2 packs of "chicken bits" (which are basically chunks) to put in my 2 sandwiches that i have my packup for work which replaces the processed meat i used to have everyday. im sure there is a few other things i eat too but not often. also i have half a malt loaf 5 days a week and a yogurt in my packup.

thanks if you read all that, sorry it was so long.

Comments

• jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    if you miss breakfast you are shooting yourself in the foot most cereals are full of crap. get some porridge or muesli down ya. if you want to put on weight and train weights or any kind of training and get something out of it your diet needs improving. you are best eating small meals little and often, every few hours. you will get more energy by eating well. if you want to put lean muscle on take your weight in kg, double it and thats the figure in grams of protein you need to eat through the day to maintain muscle mass. times this by 3/4 for you good carb intake. get some bleedin fruit down ya too. :)
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    www.muscletalk.co.uk

Ask on there, tons of useful advice, they'll probably ask for a rundown of your diet to give them an idea, pasta is great for increasing energy levels as it's slow digesting, a bit like the porridge which is good advice.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Don't miss breakfast, it will not help you put weight on!!!

Watching what you eat, and counting the energy levels, and making sure you eat loads and exercise with it will help you gain weight.

You need to eating a lot more than one meal a day. I have between 3 and 5 meals a day. Little and often is the best way, otherwise you get bored of eating and will feel full up and eventlually become sick of eating.

Your diet doesnt look too good, so maybe vitamins would help too?
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    9 stone is actually about 57kg!

You MUST eat breakfast.

I was 9.25 (I'm 5'8") stone but pretty fit aged 19, by 21 I was 12.25 stone with less bodyfat % thanks to a sound workout routine and the right diet.

Look at the thread a few down "Keeping fit but how to put on weight" - I've posted a full routine that needs very little kit - happy to help if needed.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Milkie
    9 stone is actually about 57kg!

Amazing!!! I'm now 9 stone!!!

As Matet said, read the other post.. :wink:
    Matte, thats a whole kilo in a week! I'm sure next week won't be a whole kilo.

Also protein shakes seem to help me when training.
  • jase874
    oh thats great advice guys thanks alot, ill try some porridge first and also having more smaller meals often, thanks again!
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    You cannot afford to skimp on meals or breakfast when you're 5,7 & 9st. I imagine being that weight you're not taking in that many calories anyways, unless you're doing a lot of cardio, so you're metabolism would be slow in the first place.

You're not going to have any energy to actually lift the weights and you wouldn't be getting enough protein to put on the extra muscle and so your body would be using its own protein (your muscles).

Just for info, the guys you see on Worlds Strongest Man eat around 6 meals per day, as well as protein meal 'replacements' inbetween. That's how important nutrition is.
    spammer
  • jase874
    yeah i try to eat best i can but i cant really force feed myself, i just dont get hungry and when i do its usually an "eyes bigger than your belly" situation...i cook plenty of food but i just cant seem to eat it all.

im always trying though as i say to eat as much as i can in a day

thanks for reply
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    My appetite naturally shot up when I found a good workout routine.

Before that I was force feeding myself all sorts - not fun at all.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Pippen33
    Is there anything in particular that is supressing your appetite, such as stress at work?
    spammer
  • steve100
    steve100 Posts: 57
    jase874 wrote:
    hi, after reading the "riding and weight training" thread it got me wanting to start weight lifting again, im always wanting to start again but just dont feel i have the energy.

im only about 5'7" :( and 9 stone/65KGs and 20 yrs old, never put on a pound

i understand that eating cereal every morning gets the metabolism going, on monday i started to make my portions of crunchy nut' smaller and the plan is to eventually stop having anything to eat on a morning in the hope that my metabolism will slow and i will have increased energy levels as i wont be burning off whatever i do eat the second i start to chew it!

does anyone know if this is a waste of time or if it will work?

and just to note the other reason my energy is always low is because i dont like alot of foods or cooking, (not in one meal just in general i usually eat).... beans, frozen potatoes and chips, frozen chicken things in batter or breadcrumbs, sausages, frozen veg which comes in a small bag as a portion and as i said earlier crunchy nut cornflakes for breakfast and ive recently started to buy 2 packs of "chicken bits" (which are basically chunks) to put in my 2 sandwiches that i have my packup for work which replaces the processed meat i used to have everyday. im sure there is a few other things i eat too but not often. also i have half a malt loaf 5 days a week and a yogurt in my packup.

thanks if you read all that, sorry it was so long.

Fast metabolism does not mean low energy, infact it should mean lots of energy. If you skip breakfast you will gain Fat and nothing else.

If you are suffering from low energy it is probably because you are eating poor quality foods, you need to eat fresh non processed foods, lots of fruit etc.

I can eat 3000-4000 cals a day and keep my weight at 12 stone. Due to eating the right calories and doing the right exersices

You really need to sort your diet out and understand it before doing any sort of exercise and need to eat acording to the type of excercise you are doing. I recomend you go down to waterstones and get some books on diet, fitness and weight training.
  • Pippen33
    Due to eating the right calories

what exactly are the right calories? A calorie is a unit, not a quality of food.
    spammer
  • steve100
    steve100 Posts: 57
    Pippen33 wrote:
    Due to eating the right calories

what exactly are the right calories? A calorie is a unit, not a quality of food.

Sorry not explained myself very well, I mean source of calories, Example of this are Trans fats(fried food) compared to Mono-unsaturated fats (nuts and avocados). The trans fats are easy to digest and store which means that they will quickly become fat in your body. Mono-unsaturated fats use alot of energy to digest so you are in theory burning off the calories diesting the fat rather than storing it in your body.
  • Milkie
    Swifty, did you not read the posts?

We're trying to get fit and keep the same weight, if anything put the weight on! :shock: