crank problems this morning

bossman13
bossman13 Posts: 106
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
Bit of a nightmare this morning. Halfway through my commute to work and my left crank came comepletely loose, almost to the point that it was nearly falling off. Multitool was no use so had to hail down cab in the end.

Last couple of days I have had a real bad clicking noise every time I pedal with force (including when I stand up) so this morning I think I made a schhol boy error in spraying a bit of wd40 (it was all I had :oops: ) on the cranks to see if that would ease it. Well, the clicking did stop for 5 miles but then, as I say, the whole thing nearly fell off!!

Plan to take it to the LBS now as I don’t have the tools to fix. Is it as simple as tightening the nut?? Or could I have more major problems??

Has anyone else ever experienced this? What tool would I need to fix myself?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Bossman - very much depends on what crank and bottom bracket you have. More of a description would be useful - might be straight forward to remedy.
  • bossman13
    bossman13 Posts: 106
    Gussio wrote:
    Bossman - very much depends on what crank and bottom bracket you have. More of a description would be useful - might be straight forward to remedy.

Now you're asking :wink:

not too au fait with these things but its an SCR2 and has all original components...if that helps?
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Happened to me on an MTB ride once. Luckily my compadre found the bolt and with some judicious tightening every mile or so it got me home. Once there I could use a chunky allen key to get some decent torque and tighten it properly & it has been fine ever since

So in summary

Best scenario: Needs a good tightening (& poss new bolt), then it will be fine. Cost approx £10 at LBS

Worst scenario: You've rounded everthing off / cracked some component irretrievably and will need a new BB & crankset, cost approx £60 for something basic maybe?

I'd imagine it's probably the former
    <a>road</a>
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You can bodge a repair on the trail by hitting the crank back on the BB with a large stone but first protecting the crank with a couple of sticks then tighening the bolt by hand and repeating till you get home.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    redvee wrote:
    You can bodge a repair on the trail by hitting the crank back on the BB with a large stone but first protecting the crank with a couple of sticks then tighening the bolt by hand and repeating till you get home.

Hmmm on balance i think I prefer it when my bike is not held together with sticks ;)
    <a>road</a>