Ride to work old cheap MTB

gav425
gav425 Posts: 4
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
Is this possible? is it safe? I have an old cheap Falcon MTB that has plastic caliper brakes with the cable that runs to a sort of pull up hook on the cross over cables.

Is it safe? could this be replaced? untill i can afford a new bike.

My ride to work would only be about 5 miles there and back.

Thank you.
gav425

Comments

• jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    yes. Easily.
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I'd replace the brakes with vees - someone will correct me if you can't do this. You can pick up low end shimano ones on ebay for not very much. As long as everything else is working you should be fine. Give it a once over ad ride it before your first trip to work. You don't want it breaking and leaving you stuck. If it's got old tyres on I'b be tempted to try and find some cheap slicks to put on. Makes the world of difference to speed.

I rode a cheap old mountain bike for a long time. Replaced bits as they broke with better quality (nothing better than deore).When the gears stopped working I just singlespeeded it On the old cassete and chainrings to start off with. Used to use the classifieds on STW and ebay to get things cheap. I eventually found a nice steal frame on STW so transfered components over to get a nice bike. Probably spent £250 in total over the last few years but it's a bike I ride nearly every day. Spent more than that on my mountain bike frame.
  • gav425
    Would these be ok?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15608

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=1593

Would i need new levers as well?

Sorry if i sound a bit dim, have not been on any bike in over 10yrs.

gav425
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    gav425 wrote:
    Would i need new levers as well?

Yes, V-brake levers pull a different amount of cable to cantilever levers. You could consider this kit which gives you everything you need (levers, cables and brakes - decent ones too) for £25.

HTH,

_
  • As long as it's mechanically sound, and stops and starts, don't see why you shouldn't use an old MTB.
    That was my steed of choice for about 2 years.
    Slicks or semi slick tyres make a hell of a difference.

Beware of one thing! This commuting malarkey is addictive :D
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • gav425
    Thank you all for your help. Think i will get that brake kit and then get some better tyres. Should be fun putting it together and trying it out. Will let you know how i get on.

gav425