Route with hills in Bedfordshire

Russ29
Russ29 Posts: 16
Hi
I am based in Biggleswade and have signed up for the CTC Phil and Friends ride near sheffield this year.
Really need to get in some hill work and wonder if anybody knows any good routes in the area that have a few climbs in?
If not any suggestions within a 20-30 miles radius?
Thanks

Russ

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I used to live down the road in Potton, so I know what you mean about the lack of hills in the area. To be honest, I can't think of any significant climbs nearby. I now live the other side of beds and would recommend you get yourself over to Ivinghoe Beacon. It's a nice hill, but there are plenty of others nearby so you can make quite a challenging loop for yourself.

cheers
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Seconded - nothing really that challenging in Beds I'm afraid - The Chilterns is where it's at if you want lumps with it
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Thirded.

The hilliest I can think of on my doorstep is a zig zag route taking in the following starting in Kempston to Stagsden, Kempston West End, Wootton, Cranfield, Salford, Ridgmont, Lidlington, Milbrook, Ampthill, Houghton Conquest, Haynes, Hammer hill, Cardington, Old Warden and then you could go onto Biggleswade.

Not great, and nothing compared to the Peak District, but better than no hills at all.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The climbs on the Greensand Ridge (Cardington, Clophill, Ampthill, Liddlington, Brickhills) could be linked into a decent ride, but the climbs are short and steep and the connecting roads tend to be busier A-roads.

The Chilterns start around Hitchin / Barton and stretch all the way to beyond the M40 with loads of quiet lanes to chose from, but it's a 20+ mile flattish ride to get to them unless you stick the bike in the car.
  • hammerite
    Bronzie wrote:
    The climbs on the Greensand Ridge (Cardington, Clophill, Ampthill, Liddlington, Brickhills) could be linked into a decent ride, but the climbs are short and steep and the connecting roads tend to be busier A-roads.

if i do this route I try to avoid the main A roads, early enough on a Saturday/Sunday morning isn't too bad, although I never ride on the A421, just cross it. If I do ride on the A6, A600, A422, A507 and Bedford Road into Ampthill it is generally only for the odd short stretch usually not too much further than a mile. But then I guess it's difficult to ride anywhere without short stretches on busier roads.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I did a nioce route last evening, went up Ininghoe Aston, then beacon, so together thats a nice 2 mile climb, then down Toms hill, over to climb at wiggington, on to berkhamstead castle up a long drag, through back of ashridge then Hudnall lane, ( 1 mile climb) then over downs.
    This may be too far for you to do them all, but you could ride lanes to Ivinhoe Aston and do that and the Beacon, then go direct to Hudnall and the downs, then home.
    Last night I must have only seen about 15 cars so it is quite a quiet route.
    You dont actually need to train on hills for prep for riding hily event as you can train just as well on the flat with intervals to build up strength, but it is nicer to do climbs :D
    I actually do it the other way round, I do climbs for interval training as I find it hard to do intervals on flat whilst alone :D
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I did a nioce route last evening, went up Ininghoe Aston, then beacon, so together thats a nice 2 mile climb, then down Toms hill, over to climb at wiggington, on to berkhamstead castle up a long drag, through back of ashridge then Hudnall lane, ( 1 mile climb) then over downs.
    This may be too far for you to do them all, but you could ride lanes to Ivinhoe Aston and do that and the Beacon, then go direct to Hudnall and the downs, then home.
    Last night I must have only seen about 15 cars so it is quite a quiet route.
    You dont actually need to train on hills for prep for riding hily event as you can train just as well on the flat with intervals to build up strength, but it is nicer to do climbs :D
    I actually do it the other way round, I do climbs for interval training as I find it hard to do intervals on flat whilst alone :D

I did much of that route last night! I just got my new set of lights, so was testing them out. Only saw two others out, and very few cars. Night riding is a revelation :)
  • oldwelshman
    I am doing it tonight, probably a bit longer.
    If you fancy joining me tonight or some other night pm me and we can meet up.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    I live in Bedford and work in Biggleswade - between here and theres nothing that severe really (esp. as I grew up in North Yorks!). Out the north side of Bedford - Ravensden / Wilden / Colmworth and on towards Kimbolton is a bit up and down, but nothing that long.
    Nearer to Biggles. theres quite a steep hill between Tempsford and Everton, but v short.

The one thing we do seem to have in abundance round here is wind though...

Second what Bronzie said about the Chilterns, my mate took me up Bison Hill near Dunstable recently - not only quite steep and not too short but has real Bison(s?) staring at you at the top (from their pen in Whipsnade).
  • oldwelshman
    I don't like bison hill as it is quite short and very steep and unless you do reps of it, noit much use if your training for longer type climbs, near to it is Ivinghoe aston and the beacon which if climbed one after the other is almost 2 miles steady climb.
    The main reason I don't like Bison is that a lot of commuters use that route and they fly down the hill at its steepest part where you may be waverring around :D I have had a close call a couple of times so don't use it much now.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    I went up it on a Saturday during the day so not too much traffic, realise its not that long in the grand scheme but it is nice & steep (if you like that sort of thing). I'll have a look farther afield to the ones you mention as well - cheers for that.
  • pip123
    pip123 Posts: 25
    i am also in biggleswade and the longest hill i can think of is the other side of ashwell - go from ashwell towards odsey and the station, cross the a505 and turn right towards baldock and then after about 500yds take 1st left towards therfield - the hill starts here and is about a mile long and is more of a challenge on a windy day!! - you can then follow the roads over to watlington and clothal and baldock and back to biggy via stotfold henlow and langford (about 35 miles altogether i think)
  • swissj
    swissj Posts: 59
    In terms of gradient the best ones in the area are to follow the water towers. For example, the climb up to Langford Water Tower on the A1 from Langford direction, Meppershall Water Tower from Lower Stondon direction and the 14% gradient climb from the A6 up to Pulloxhill Water Tower. Combine all 3 and it makes for a great ride. Oh, and throw in the 10%er (Hammer Hill) on the A600 from Cotton End to Haynes for good measure. On top of this and still in the same area is the Sharpenhoe Clappers climb from Barton Le Clay should give your legs a working over. If you want a guide for the day, just let me know.
  • hammerite
    Was looking at an OS map of the area the other day and noticed a hill arrow between Tempsford and Everton. Din't go round that way often so I have no idea what it is like! But might be worth a look.

Swissj - add London Lane, Houghton Conquest onto your route. Short but quite steep.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    hammerite wrote:
    Was looking at an OS map of the area the other day and noticed a hill arrow between Tempsford and Everton. Din't go round that way often so I have no idea what it is like! But might be worth a look.

Swissj - add London Lane, Houghton Conquest onto your route. Short but quite steep.

It's short, but steep. It's on the usual cycling route to Grafham water for our club runs.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • swissj
    swissj Posts: 59
    Thanks for the heads up, the Tempsford/Everton hill is a belter in my books. It has a good steep climb, not bad length and it disappears round a corner so you don't know where the top is. Keeps you guessing that bit longer!
    The bonus with that route is the roads are nice and quiet, if suffering a little due to disrepair!