British Airways and bikes

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm flying out from Heathrow T5 (!) on Saturday and want to take my bike. From what I've read on their website, it seems that BA will take it for free as long as it's properly bagged up and under 23 kg. There doesn't seem to be anything about pre-booking it. Is this right? I'm just used to getting fleeced, or sorry, dealing with, EasyJet when I've taken my bike abroad before.
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    You might as well airfreight your bike straight to Milan. My colleague still has not got her skis bacl because she decided to fly BA to save the handling fee charged by other airlines.
  • dnrdnr
    dnrdnr Posts: 27
    If you look at the BA details it states that bike carriage is free and must be in a box or bag. However, it also gives a total dimension limitation which is way less than any bike box. I havn't tested it, and you might be ok, but based on the regulations as stated I cancelled a planned trip and rebooked with Easyjet! OK you pay, but rhe bike is booked for sure. I contacted BA but they would not confirm one way or the other. The regulations are for the new baggage system in T5 by the way. Let us know how you get on.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,127
    A top tip in true Viz style:

If you're asked to weigh the bag remember to keep most of the weight on a cunningly placed foot to ensure it comfortably comes under their limit.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    might be qwuicker riding your bike to your detination, at least it'd get there the same time as you :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    BIkes were certainly free four years ago with BA and they took my tandem (boxed up) to NZ with no complaints at all.

It was actually easier with the bike because rather than join the big queues at check-in a BA lady intercepted us at the door (before I mowed down several people with the box balanced on a trolly), took our passports and returned minutes later with boarding cards.

Of course, that was before all the T5 shenanigans.
  • mark1956
    mark1956 Posts: 221
    dnrdnr wrote:
    If you look at the BA details it states that bike carriage is free and must be in a box or bag. However, it also gives a total dimension limitation which is way less than any bike box. I havn't tested it, and you might be ok, but based on the regulations as stated I cancelled a planned trip and rebooked with Easyjet! OK you pay, but rhe bike is booked for sure. I contacted BA but they would not confirm one way or the other. The regulations are for the new baggage system in T5 by the way. Let us know how you get on.

When I flew with BA four years ago, the total dimension limitation was for ordinary checked baggage but they didn't apply it to my bike. I took my bike with me unboxed and unbagged, just turned the handlebars sideways and took off the pedals, and it arrived with no problems. Reading the website, it says here "we will accept all single bicycle bags as illustrated", and shows what looks like a bag covering a complete, assembled bicycle.

I'm using BA for my tour that starts next week (Denver-Catania, Catania-Dublin, Dublin-Denver), and I'm using T5 :cry: for the final leg of the return trip, so we'll see what happens.
    mark
  • epicEm
    epicEm Posts: 45
    I flew back to Greece with BA at the beginning of March this year (not from Terminal 5 mind). I have flown this route to/from Athens-London with my bike quite a few times over the past few years and so have my clients.

You only need to call to book your bike if more than 4 of you are travelling with bikes together.

I have packed my bike in a bike bag every time and never been charged any extra.

HTH