"XC" & "Trail"

CLTatters
CLTatters Posts: 40
edited April 2008 in XC and Enduro
I'm confused! I'm looking for a replacement for my old carerra (about time too, I know!) & am after a full suss, up to abt £1500. I test rode a Commencal Meta 5.5.3 (I think) & loved it - but looking at the commencal meta range they seem to call the 4's "XC" & the 5's "trail" - what's the difference? I thought they were about the same. I'll be doing cross country I think - I mainly ride bridleways with the occasional trail centre thrown in.
Advice appreciated (but please be gentle - I know I've a lot to learn!)
Thanks

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    xc is a 'racier' version of trail, trail bikes are do it all bikes, usually 5"-6" travel perfect for trail centres & xc, whereas xc bikes are great on the ups & singletrack they're not as good on the down's as trail bikes

If that makes sense! hope it helps.

The Meta 5.5.3 is a great bike, my friend has one.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Yep go for a Trail bike if you plan to ride Trail centres,it will be a bit heavier than a pure XC bike but it will have a little extra travel for the Downhill sections and be strong enough for a little play on the Freeride sections that most trail centres now have !
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Agree'd 5" is perfect for pretty much everything you will face, at trail centers, and up. only really need more if you get serious about downhill and freeride
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    XC = approx. 4" rear wheel travel
    Trail = approx. 5" rear wheel travel
    Enduro = approx. 6" rear wheel travel
    DH = approx. 7"+ rear wheel travel

All-mountain is a mix of Trail and Enduro style bikes so about 5-6" rear wheel travel. Then of course you have Freeride which is anybody's guess!

Ultimately, get a bike and ride it with a big grin on your face, unless you are pedalling uphill in which case the grin will probably turn to a grimace momentarily before the crest of the hill and then the grimace turns back into a grin as your head back down again!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • slimbob
    slimbob Posts: 35
    I've got a Commencal Meta 5.2. Great bike although I'm bound to say that. If you get one you can join the Commencal Owners Club!!! Take mine to trail centres and natural trails and it eats up everything. DO IT!!!
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    2nd the Commy. My 5.2 is 6 months old now. Pretty good on the hills (lock out is good for the fire-road/tarmac ups) and super sweet on the downs. A very flickable machine on the trails indeed.

Off to Spain in a day or two and its coming with me. I can't wait. 8)
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    You wont be aching as much after a day on a trail bike compared to an XC bike :wink: