Advice on track pedals for sprinting please.

quickfeet
quickfeet Posts: 11
edited June 2008 in Track
Recently got myself a new Dolan track frame which I have built up can anyone suggest what the best type of pedals are for track. I will be trying to focus on the sprint events 200, 500 TT, Keirn etc.. any suggestions

Thank you

quickfeet :D

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    It’s a bit of a $64000 question as it depends how you get on with various pedals, whether you have a problem with pulling your feet and whether you can be bothered with straps, how much are you prepared to spend, etc.

The received wisdom for these events is to use Shimano SPD-R but you have to go for the PD7700 version and keep an eye on eBay if you want to find any. There are some used ones around that have already been modified to take straps. The other problem is that there are now very few (2 hole) compatible shoes available.

I have used SPD-SL pedals quite successfully and never pulled out of them during sprints, Keirins or during gate starts for TTs. I also have a pair of SPD-SLs which have been modified to take straps for when I want the extra security. The secret with these pedals is to keep the release tension tight and the keep the cleats new-ish and in good condition.

For about the last year I’ve been using Speedplay Zero Track pedals. I think they are very good and secure if a bit on the pricey side. I have pulled out of these twice and survived the experience but am sure that these incidents were more to do with me not clipping in to them properly and have happily continued to use them. You’d have thought that I would have learnt from the 1st time... :roll:

I also have a pair of brand new Dura Ace PD-7400 pedals which are probably the most secure sprinting pedals ever made and mine might even get used in anger this season. If you go on the hunt for a pair of these, be prepared to pay a lot for them!

HTH 8)
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • i asked the same question on FGF a while ago , while the SPD-R's are THE pedal they are also on the way out as it is nigh on possible to find decent shoes as Eddy says.

im using spd-sl with the red fixed cleat , this feels more secure as it cant move about. with the new design spd's it is possible to zip tie a strap on like

spd-sl_zip_tie_strap_1_702.jpg

i dont know what the form is for linking to other forums but there is a good discussion ...http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=433&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    Yup, my 2p is that weight, looks, convenience and everything else is secondary to my NEVER EVER pulling a foot out and equally never, ever doubting that I could start at 100% and not pull a foot.

So I am still on old stylee shimano 600 pedals (v similar to the 7400's but cheaper and a little heavier (the pedal "cage"/plate for the cleat is steel, not alloy per the DA version) and I have a couple of pairs of those, plus a pair of DA pedals. Then I pull a pair of strong straps as tight as I can and use a shimano cleat for the 7400's.

I know that for me, the tiniest doubt about my foot security would cause me to hold back a fraction.... which is no good!

Pulling a foot on a fixed is so potentially ugly that I would advise anyone to avoid it....
    Good luck,
    Scherrit.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    scherrit wrote:
    Pulling a foot on a fixed is so potentially ugly that I would advise anyone to avoid it....
    Scherrit.
    Hey Scherrit, you resisted recalling that "potentially ugly" moment when I pulled my foot in front of you during the sprint at Reading - lucky escape all round eh? :oops: Still makes me shudder :shock:
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    twitch, twitch...... shellshocked, moi?????
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • Does nobody use clips and straps anymore? I was gifted some old Campy track pedals (still in very good condition). I managed to find some cleats that bolt on like a standard Look cleat. I'm yet to try them in racing but you still see a fair few trackies with clips and straps.

I haven't actually pulled out of a pedal but I did snap a very old chain once (NB it was old and had nothing to do with my leg strength). That was fun - rolling around the track while sitting on the top tube and singing in a very high voice waiting for the bike to slow enough so that I could put my foot down.

Simon
  • I use SPD-SLs also, and have never had a problem with them.
    Hipster Nascar: A Blog About Track Cycling - http://www.hipsternascar.com.