garmin edge 705

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    says "Full support and warranty from an ethical source" on the ad.

not sure what "an ethical source" is, mailed them to ask tho!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    The website I bough mine off claimed it had warranty but guess what? They could not send me anything, would not send me proof of purchase so Garmin did nothing!!
    Now I have to use it with velcro wrapped around it so use it just to record mileage and monitor h/r, I cannot even connect via usb to pc to upload data even tho it charges up.
    It is the most expensive piece of s I have ever bought !!
    You should take a look at the 705 reports about many problems with 705 in MB forum. Seems like they have done the same as 305, issued it whilst not fully developed.

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=86.0
  • a_n_t
    well like i said, too late now!

i'll cross them bridges if/when i come to them! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    ok, delving a little deeper, from the garmin website,

To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification, and Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

so "Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification"

seems fair enough to me, so long as I get a receipt for it there should be no problem.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I couldn't find the email receipt for my 305 when it broke so I had to pay to get it replaced (about £50-60 IIRC). However, when the replacement unit when kapputt, it was under warranty and replaced for free. It arrived to day, so I am happy to have data again :D .

I think it is a shame that what is essentially a very good product doesn't seem to be as robust as it should be. Garmin don't seem to be too bothered though as when I asked if the problems I suffered, which seem not uncommon, were being investigated they said not.
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    The retailer on Ebay is offering a 12 month warranty. They also have a website and also provide a phone number on Ebay (which I used).

Seems good enough to me :)

It's great to be .....
  • We've just got one of these in to test for the magazine. My first impressions are good too, but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how you're all getting on with it.

We were using the navigation function yesterday - it managed to find the most hilly, zig zagging route imaginable between Bristol and Bath... Ouch. Must tweak the settings if that's pos.

Wouldn't it be nice if it came with OS maps...

Anyone tried pairing it with a power measuring system yet?

Cheers, Neil
    Deputy Editor, Cycling Plus
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Neil,

That's good to know. If I can put a cheeky request in for the review?

There a few folks on this board who are decidedly confused by all the options and which model will do what, how, and what package you need to buy to do it. Any chance of different 'user scenarios', starting with 'simpleton who just wants to be able to use it like an OS landranger' (me!) through to the full racer and all of the training options and benefits that it offers?

I can't seem to find anything conclusive about the suitability of base maps, whether I need to purchase £150+ worth of digital OS mapping (UK-wide for the tourists/travellers amongst us), or if there is one that'll do it out of the box.

Of course, this is where you tell me that was the plan anyway!

Graham
  • Mmm, all in 250 words...

Of course that was (kind of) the plan.

What do you mean by £150 of OS mapping? Garmin told us yesterday that you can either buy OS 'BASED' topo mapping - which I was using yesterday as it's what came on my unit - or a 'city navigator' mapset. And that's it.

As I'll probably say in my review, if you must have OS landranger or explorer (which sounds like you), you're better off with Viewranger or Satmap - though these don't have the training or analytical functionality of the Garmin.

Anyway - it's early testing days as yet. Watch this space... or rather the one in the new look Cycling Plus!

Neil
  • SunWuKong
    Neil

If you've checked out the motionbased forum and on here too. Me and several others have had a problem with the Edge 205/305 where they wont switch on after being connected to the PC. If you want to try and repeat this then connect it to the PC whilst switched off, have it download/upload and maybe charging for a while then just unplug it. It may or may not then switch on.

Admittedly it would interrupt your review until you got a replacement, but this 'safety feature' appearing in your review might help Garmin address this.
  • I could always hit it with a hammer too... but I'm not going to. Thanks for the warning though. Computers always warn you about memory damage through incorrect disconnnection, don't they. Though you might hope a unit would be more robust than that - I think this one is because I think I got that warning message earlier.

Neil
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    The one thing that has put me off buying one is the fact there is still the 100 waypoint limitation. I don't like the courses option and 100 waypoints is just too little. I end up having to constantly modify my routes before sending them to my 305 to get within the limits. Other than that I think it looks pretty good. I have a separate GPS unit for mountain bike rides, but might still consider one for the road.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t wrote:

reply from direct web retail.

"We supply a VAT invoice which is proof of purchase from us as an approved eBay Business Seller, Platinum Powerseller, and a Garmin approved Seller.
    We give full support and warranty service should it be needed, including replacement or repair.
    Pls see our feedback to see we are "ethical" in our business service.
    We have sold Garmin products for 4 years, including auctions.
    Thanks for your order, pls enjoy it and we are here if you need support."

seems ok to me.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    a_n_t wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

reply from direct web retail.

"We supply a VAT invoice which is proof of purchase from us as an approved eBay Business Seller, Platinum Powerseller, and a Garmin approved Seller.
    We give full support and warranty service should it be needed, including replacement or repair.
    Pls see our feedback to see we are "ethical" in our business service.
    We have sold Garmin products for 4 years, including auctions.
    Thanks for your order, pls enjoy it and we are here if you need support."

seems ok to me.

I hope it is ok for you and you dont get the problems others are having on mb forum :D
    I had same assurance from my seller, even a mail for 3 year extended warranty.
    Garmin UK told me they have no approved dealerships using online auctions or on ebay shops.
    I may bite the bullet and pay the £50 if I can find their addy :D
  • Several BikeRadar staffers are also testing 705s.

I've carelessly unplugged mine without unmounting it and it's been fine. It seems to behave as a proper USB mass storage device, and they seem to tolerate gormlessness.

The basemap that comes with it is really by way of a sketch map of the whole world.

You could use it for major road navigation by car, and it shows some minor local roads round the southern suburbs of Sydney, but it's missing all the minor road network round Bath.

For cycling, you're definitely going to need more detailed maps, unless major roads are your idea of fun.
    John Stevenson
  • SunWuKong
    John:
    I've carelessly unplugged mine without unmounting it and it's been fine. It seems to behave as a proper USB mass storage device, and they seem to tolerate gormlessness.

Me too, many times, then kapputt. It isn't a memory issue, Garmin told me is was a power 'safety feature'. Because, it has suddenly been unplugged from the power source it puts itself into a state of neither being on or off. So you have to reset it, and hope it switches on.

If you read on motion based you'll see a lot of ppl have had the same thing happen. The problem is it seems a bit random and for Garmin it is probably cheaper to repair or replace the units than to find out why this happens.
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    Hey! Mine finally arrived. So I have a weekend of playing with it to look forward to!

:-)
  • Barney 2
    Barney 2 Posts: 68
    You would think for this price it would come loaded with the OS maping or at least
    a subsidied version.

Can you share the OS maps?
  • MegaCycle
    Well mine already seems to know the Oxford area...does it have other maps then? Or do you get more details with OS maps?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There are no OS maps for the 705
  • MegaCycle
    ok, then are there any sort of maps? The built in maps on the 705 don't really seem to show any roads I am familiar with. It's just a brown background with lines on it.
  • a_n_t
    put Garmin City Navigator® Europe NT 2008 on mine last night, much much better!

seek and ye shall find, if you know what i mean, nudge nudge :wink::wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Claypole
    Claypole Posts: 20
    Sorted an e-Trex for a family member 18 months back and although it seems Garmin have some decent products the whole map thing thing is very confusing with base maps and topo maps and don't know what else. The different bundles for the 605/705 seem to be a step in the right direction.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 628
    a_n_t wrote:

a_n_t,

What does this package give you? Is it just cities or is it a non topographical roadmap of the whole of Europe?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • a_n_t
    What does this package give you? Is it just cities or is it a non topographical roadmap of the whole of Europe?

erm yeah, its "a non topographical roadmap of the whole of Europe"

8)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • MegaCycle
    a_n_t wrote:

doesn't that cost about a million quid though?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    MegaCycle wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

wiggle are doing all in one packages 705 £323.99 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... %20Package

I opted for the 605 £250. It should arrive tomorrow
  • a_n_t
    MegaCycle wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

no idea, have a look round the seedier parts of the www, if you know what I mean? Garmin aint getting another penny out of me! 8)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • FPDave
    FPDave Posts: 24
    I'm a software developer, and I dont see why software developers shouldnt be paid for the hard work they do, so please dont encourage others to steal, 'cos be in no doubt, thats what you are doing!

anyway, I've had my 705 for a week and a bit now and am generally pretty happy with it. I used the route finding today for the first time and it certainly didnt take me the way I wanted to go, but at least it recalcs regularly and eventually came around to my way of thinking ;-)

Still, it is really cool having sat nav for a bike - I love being told which way to turn! Its just missing a sultry scandinavian voice (female).

I dont think there is anyway of putting in "via's" for the route finding, which would solve the problem of it doing its own thing. ALso, the route finding would be nice if it could just aim for the middle of a town/village rather than insisting on a full address.

Not being able to easily review history on the map is a nice feature it should have.

It is rather large and looks a bit daft on a road bike, but fine offroad. Not that this really bothers me that much.

The GPS is remarkably accurate, seems to be much more so than my Etrex Legend, really impressive, mainly.

I'd like the backlight to come on with a default setting rather than require me to set it each time I want it on - I should just be able to click the power button and get my previous backlight setting by default.

Only a single map detail setting, when having a seperate setting for roads and for other stuff would be very handy.

I'm using mine with SportTracks, and the match up is pretty good.

I'll get around to the training features soon.
    just get out and ride, ride, ride