Preston to London for 'Help for Heroes' - I need your advice

simonn
simonn Posts: 88
Hello,

I am looking for forum members advice,please.
I'm starting to look at planning a ride from near Blackpool to London at the end of May with the aim of raising sponsorship for the service personnel charity 'Help for Heroes'.

The distance is around 230 miles and I was hoping to do the ride over 2 days with an overnight break halfway.
My experience of riding is limited to fair weather(!) distances of no more than 100 miles eg the Manchester 100 miler in around 7 hours.Right now I'm about as unfit as a 39 year-old could be after a winter of sloth.

My dumb questions are:

1) I'm using the RAC online route planner to get me in the right direction ie shortest distance,but would you use something else?

2) I realise if I commit to this ride that I've only giving myself just over 6 weeks to try and get fit enough-is this realistic?I'm worried about trying to ride back-to-back 'centuries',in terms of recovery.

3) Basically,in order to get a little more in shape for the ride should I just be riding as much as I can from now until then,steadily increasing the distance?

I'd really appreciate any advice that you can give me,and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.

All the best,

Si.

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The RAC route planner is OK, but is designed for "fastest" and "quickest" route by motor vehicle.

It is a good base to start from though. Look at the route when zoomed and then divert where the road is unsuitable.

Also have a look at http://www.bikely.com for routes that others have taken in the same area.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • simonn
    Hi Cunobelin,

Thanks for your speedy reply.
    The RAC planner allows me to specify 'shortest mileage' (obviously avoiding motorway!) which looks like A roads and dual carriageway mainly.
    The RAC's suggested route

When you talk about about using another route when the propsed one looks unsuitable,what are you driving at?Would you recommend avoiding busier roads or is it a gradient thing-believe me,I don't like climbing!

I'll certainly have a look at that site you mentioned.

Cheers,

Si.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Quite often the dual carriageways and motorways have a less used minor road running almost parallel. These are much nicer and easier to use.

It is simply a case of looking at the maps
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • simonn
    Hi Cunobelin,

Many thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Si.