big blokes on a budget

roblen
roblen Posts: 2
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
hi all

as the title suggests im a big bloke on a budget. im 6'2'' and about 18 stone and looking for a hardtail.

my budget is £400-£450. i have been on line and the kona hoss is attractive but a smidgeon pricey. does anyone have any suggestions

thanks in advance for all your help

Comments

• Last years model? Sometimes LBS with have an older model in stock a fair bit cheaper than the current range.
  • spiney
    spiney Posts: 17
    i'm 6' 1" and 17.5 stone and bought a Fury last year. it handles what i throw at it!!

i think it cost £450 at the time
  • I'm 6'5" and 20 stone. I have a GT Avalanche 2 and its coping so far, only had it about 5 weeks though.
  • Mitchells cycles in Swindon offrered me a 2006 Hoss for £450 a couple of weeks back, I ended up with a 2008 Hoss and I have to say I love it!
  • I'm 6' and 17.5 stone and after wrecking a Raleigh Chinook (not the best bike I know ..) in 8 weeks, I bought a Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc for £379. I've had it a couple of months now and been very happy with it !
  • I second the Hoss, I am 6'5" and about 240lbs, 07 Hoss from Paulcycles £524.
    I got the 22" and love it, good strong bike built for clydes, spec is OK, few teething troubles with the Hayes so1e brakes, but they work fine.
  • steveo450
    steveo450 Posts: 26
    i Got an 07 Hoss from JE James cycles in sheffield. I paid £469.99 and got some DMR V8 pedals thrown in.

Im 6ft3" and currently 16 Stone. I havent thrown lots at it yet. I suppose im scared of it bending like other bikes ive had but so far its rock solid. did some rough rocky steps 2-3 metres at a time yesterday plus some half metre - 1 metre drop offs and the hoss is solid as ever so far so good.
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    i am 6'2 and 19 stone (although not for long hopefully,lol)
    i jus got a focus fat boy and have to say i am very impressed so far for £450
    havent managed to break anything yet :D
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Also have the Avalanche 1 disc (£500) very good bike and no breakages coping with 20 stones.
  • Quirky
    Quirky Posts: 123
    Another vote for GT here, started on an Aggressor XC1 and weighed over 17 stone at the time, no problems at all. Apart from falling off a lot, but thats my fault :lol:
    weight.png
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The GT is a tough bike at this price.