Great Glen Cycle route

dogtiredandwired
dogtiredandwired Posts: 3
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am looking for some advice.

Planning to cycle the great glen cycle route in June in a reasonably rapid (short) tour. Currently I am trying to decide whether to take my Thorn Raven Tour, or my mountain bike.

Does anyone have experience of the quality of the trails along this route? I believe a good propoortion of it is "off road", and though I suspect it may be on well maintained cycle paths, I am not sure.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Was looking at this.

Fair whack on the Caledonian Canal tow path where a BW permit is required (From what I found)

I reckon you can avoid a fair bit of off road though there is a bit in the forests which it looks like you have no choice on.

I was considering putting reasonable knoblies on my Sardar for it, but then decided I can't be bothered doing it.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Unfortunately, I am doing it as part of a group, so I do not really have any freedom to change the route.

I will have a closer look at the scottish tourist board website.

Thanks
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    The route doesn't officially exist any more either though there is a Great Glen Way map (footprint) available on Amazon that gives the route. (Which I have)

Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of the route thats not on some form of road, and not a lot on forest roads.

Personally I would risk the rigid frame for better energy use on the road bits, but wouldn't chance struggling up hill on a loose dirt track on slicks. (Hence why I was going to put knoblies on my Sardar)

Must be someone that has done the route before?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • having walked the great glen route, alot of it is a doddle on a bike as its mostly canal paths and backroads, however there are a few parts where it meanders off up small singletracks and on a few parts,(these are signposted for bikes), its better to go around these parts as its steep and difficult going - up or down!

I have a map somewhere about which your welcome to have if I find it, just send us your address and I'll bung it in the post.

have fun!
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • Found the map! its a harveymap of the great glen way - covers all routes including the cycle route - can't imagine much has changed since I went around 2005. Also have an accommodation and services guide book (2005) as well which might come in useful.

Even though I'm gonna be up that way this summer I'll be just passing thru Inverness on my JOG2LE so map isnt needed - hope it all comes in handy for you.

like I said last posting just send us your address and I'll bung it in the post.

regards
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.