Group of riders in Team Kit (Stockport)

Barça
Barça Posts: 175
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Does anybody know who the guys would be that meet at the Rising Sun in Hazel Grove (Stockport) around 9:30 each Sunday morning? They wear red and black team kit.
Thanks

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Barça
    Thanks a_n_t . If it's the same club, they have changed there club strip. Do you ride with them?
  • a_n_t
    no idea if it is them tbh! I'm not in a club at the moment. :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Barça
    it's these guys. Mystery solved. http://www.willswheelscc.co.uk/
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Cyclists still meet there? How nice! From 1954 to '67 I lived near the Rising Sun: Sunday mornings there used to be dozens ('00s maybe!) of riders from Stockport side of M'cr gather at the Cafe (Silver Moon?) at that junction before heading off to Derbyshire.

No, I wasn't one of them. Rugby and football soon gave way to drink and girls (spent quite a lot of time IN the Rising Sun however....).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • a_n_t
    aha! case closed :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    They used to have a mad alsation at the Rising Sun that used to throw itself at the doors in the 60s. Sure the cafe across the road was the Black Cat. used to get a good full english there. I too cycled around there till I found girls at the Alma Lodge Disco on a Sunday night.

JIm
  • meagain
    "the Black Cat."

Maybe so! There was one opposite the Sun and another, smaller, just beyond on the Buxton Road. Can't remember which was which!

" the Alma Lodge Disco"

Bit up market for me! The Bamboo my usual Grove haunt.

But mainly the Red Lion....sadly demolished years ago.

Happy days!
    d.j.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Many years ago (50) a chaingang used to meet here on Tuesdays and Thursdays early season when it was still dark and thrash up to Whaley Bridge and back (because there were street lamps all the way) and the final sprint, which stretched the full width of the A6, was the railway bridge just before the Rising Sun. This illustrates the difference in traffic volume between then and now.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Bamboo Club! Needed corduroy trousers and a wool pullover to get in there.
    There used to be a great cafe in whaley bridge that we used to stop off at for toasted teacakes and pots of tea. This was on a sunday night after a weekends cycling/hostelling in the peak district. I think we had a quick descent from Wildborclough into Whaley Bridge if I remember right before a fast ride down into Manchester.

Jim
  • meagain
    "Bamboo Club! Needed corduroy trousers and a wool pullover to get in there."

ONLY when it was JAZZ! The discos (yes, yes) weren't bad - and a late bar, rarity in they daze. Many girls...
    d.j.