Thetford... What condition?

cjw
cjw Posts: 1,889
edited April 2008 in Routes
Got some time off work and wondering what Thetford is like at the moment? Mudfest or what? Black and red routes.
London to Paris Forum
http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
Focus Izalco Team

Comments

• rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Don't....just don't

I went yesterday and to be honest it should be closed it's in such a mess it's stupid. Come summer it's going to be so messed up it won't be worth going then either.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    OK... Thanks.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • djr2110
    djr2110 Posts: 74
    As a local rider and a member of TIMBER, I thought i'd just add a positive spin to the post.

Come summer we should hopefully have a new section of the red route open and the trails should be in a better condition.
    I have to admit there are sections that are getting cut up due to the weather, there is also alot that is still good to ride.
    Plus being mainly sand under tread the trails do tend to drain fairly quickly as long as the weather holds out :D so please don't let the current state of some sections put you off (we all need a challenging ride now and again)

Dave

www.timbermtb.org
    Dave
  • rikk
    djr2110 wrote:
    I have to admit there are sections that are getting cut up due to the weather, there is also alot that is still good to ride.

Maybe some of the Brandon trail and the top of the red route as it's on a hill but the black route is all but impassable and the red route after the drop through the tree's where you guys are building the new section is just ridiculous and would be the kind of thing I'd enjoy doing in my 4x4.
    Don't get me wrong I love it at thetford it suits my riding perfectly and i spent a lot of last year there but the total lack of trail maint and the state it's in at the moment will not leave it in a good state this summer.
    Even the start of the tightrope is a washed out muddy mess now.
  • djr2110
    Things may get worse before they get better but we are working on it.

We have the commitment from the FC for 20K of metalling, so that means we can produce more armoured trail in the worst hit areas (see more at http://www.timbermtb.org/news/newsletter2.pdf )

The start of tight rope was left to see how it faired and as you said it does now resemble a mud pit, so that should get sorted at the next build day.

If you would like to make a contribution or have the odd free saturday spare, you're more than welcome to come along and join us on a build day, plus that 4x4 of your's would come in handy if the rain keeps coming :)
    Dave
  • hell yeah! I'm up for a saturday spent maintaining the trail. only thing is I'm coing from diss with no real way of getting there. is there any one from timber who comes that way and perhaps has a spare seat in their car??
    Train hard, ride easy
  • rikk
    djr2110 wrote:
    If you would like to make a contribution or have the odd free saturday spare, you're more than welcome to come along and join us on a build day, plus that 4x4 of your's would come in handy if the rain keeps coming :)

Well i did email the contact address on the website 3-4 times noone replied at all, I'm disabled so no good at humping stuff around but I did offer the use of my 4x4 and I'm also an action/sports photographer so thought it might be handy to have someone to do your photo work for you, I can also make good tea ;).
    But as noone replied to any of my emails I assumed it was a no :(

By all means drop me a mail at rikk@golum.co.uk if I can help.
  • djr2110
    Okay, sorry for not replying sooner.
    Marjory, if you go onto the TIMBER forum and go to the trail building section and post your interest, I am sure we can see if someone can give you a lift if, not can you make it to the thetford train station as we could pick up from there.

Rikk
    I've been a member of TIMBER now for about a year and yes it took a few attempts before I got a response to joining. In our defence we have highlighted this issue in our meetings and it looks as though I will be dealing with initial contacts from potential members and enquiries, whether this is a good thing or not i'm not sure :D

This may take a few weeks to get me up to speed though.

Regarding the photography, we will hopefully be opening the new section by the 39 steps soon, so we could always do with some action shots. I will express your interest on the forum and our poor communication skills initially and hopefully we can get something sorted.
    Thanks for the interest guys.

Dave
    Dave
  • rikk
    It would also so make sense to have a public section of your forum so people could ask these things and also make comments on what you guys are saying and doing.

edit....cheers for the reply :)
  • can you link to the TIMBER forum please? or is it linked somewhere obvious and I'm being dim??
    Train hard, ride easy
  • rikk
    http://www.timbermtb.org/

The forum link is in the top right.
  • ta v mush
    Train hard, ride easy