Long distance cycle training adviceway - there is a route ar

MEATBALLS
MEATBALLS Posts: 6
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,
Last weekend I completed my first century - ! - very pleased. Did the C2C route from Whitehaven to Newcastle, then cycled from Newcastle > Redcar > Hull. The Redcar to Hull day ended up being 101.11 miles (after we made a slight detour at the end to get over the 100 mile mark!).
Anyway there is a route around Leeds of about 150 miles. Would like to get in training to do this for charity over Summer at some point - can anyone point me in the way of some good training guides?

I realise this may be a road topic - I dont have a road bike (I have a hybrid mountain bike/tourer-ish setup). I thought it might be relevant to some sort of expedition touring rather than outright speed/road training?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Suppose theres the leeds liverpool for towpath sort of riding. If im doing road id probably go in the skipton direction down otley road. Mountain biking you might want to try otley chevin.
  • I have got the route - cheers (probably could have been clearer), but might reconsider and look at the Leeds LIverpool canal, or the Trans-Pennine trail, am thinking more in terms of preparation. As I said I did the 100 miles, and felt there was quite a bit more in me. I would like to do the 150 miles in one sitting... Realise this mighht be the wrong forum...?
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    MEATBALLS wrote:
    Hi all,
    Last weekend I completed my first century - ! - very pleased. Did the C2C route from Whitehaven to Newcastle, then cycled from Newcastle > Redcar > Hull. The Redcar to Hull day ended up being 101.11 miles (after we made a slight detour at the end to get over the 100 mile mark!).
    Anyway there is a route around Leeds of about 150 miles. Would like to get in training to do this for charity over Summer at some point - can anyone point me in the way of some good training guides?

I realise this may be a road topic - I dont have a road bike (I have a hybrid mountain bike/tourer-ish setup). I thought it might be relevant to some sort of expedition touring rather than outright speed/road training?

I'm assuming that you mean the West Yorkshire Cycle Route. It's not exactly flat and the 150 miles will be a bit of a challenge. There's a book called' the long distance cyclists handbook' or something similar but to be honest there's no substitute for getting out and getting the miles in. If you can get a long ride (100km or more) in each weekend between now and the big one then you should be in shape for the cycle route. Do make sure than some of your rides include hilly terrain.

I've been contemplating doing the ride for a while with a view of doing it in two days for a more relaxed experience.

Good luck with the ride!
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    MEATBALLS wrote:

Your bike will do the job with minimal fuss. You might consider doing some Audax rides as training exercises. See www.audax.uk.net for audax rides near you.