Brightest Dynamo light?

combat_wombat
combat_wombat Posts: 2,188
edited April 2008 in Workshop
I'm after a new Dynamo Light (I have a Shimano 3N80 dynohub)
I currently have a Hella 3W Halogen.
The LED world seems to say they are brighter - is this true?

supernova-lights say their E3 is the brightest light appoved by EU countrys
but this implies there is a brighter light - anyone know it?

www.supernova-lights.com/en/index.html

Or can anyone else recommend another topnotch light?

48/19 Winter : 105 Summer

Comments

• graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I looked at the supernova light, but decided that it was a bit extravagent considering the new B&M lamps. I went ahead and ordered the new B&M IQ Fly (http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3040).

Superb. First ride out with it I managed 34mph top speed (admittedly on roads that I'm vaguely familiar with) and only hit one pothole over the course of nearly two hours. The ability to tilt the lamp part to three 'notch' settings, a bit like adjusting your dipped beam height on your car headlamps, is a fantastic idea.

Google around for info - one reviewer compared the B&M to the Supernova and preferred the beam pattern of the B&M for practical road use. Some very useful user reviews on the CTC forums too.
  • graham_g
    Oh and even the top-line senso plus version is only £48 at dotbike http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP4015.aspx
  • combat_wombat
    combat_wombat Posts: 2,188
    I just read that the Supernova E3 gets up to top brightness at 4mph
    where as the Solidlights 1203D gets up to its max at 8mph

although it might make the Supernova sound better - I rarely cycle under 8mph.
    surely the one that get brighter second must be brighter (as it must be drawing more amps) ?

does the Supernova really get no brighter above 5 mph?
    seems like a bit of a waste of power

48/19 Winter : 105 Summer
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I run the battery powered Solidlights 1303, and it's very good, so the similar bulb/lensed (2 instead of 3) 1203 should be up to spec.
    My only negative would be that there seems too much beam coming out high up, forcing me to tilt the lamp down more than I would like (on the 1303).

If memory serves correct, the 1203 has a standby capacitor too.

Only problem is that, assuming nothing has changed (I never got an email answer to this question), then Solidlights are using Luxeon emitters, which are err... I think half as bright as the latest Luxeons/Seoul LEDs. That may account for your 4mph/8mph difference.

The B&M lights seem well designed.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Graham G wrote:
    Oh and even the top-line senso plus version is only £48 at dotbike http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP4015.aspx

I looked at the supernova light, but decided that it was a bit extravagant considering the new B&M lamps. I went ahead and ordered the new B&M IQ Fly (http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3040).
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I bought the Supernova E3 and am very impressed with its looks
    and performance. Not extravagant in my opinion, just a very,
    bright, reliable light.

maander
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I've used the IQ Fly for the past few months now and the performance is excellent. The only proviso is that the Senso (light sensitive) function is a complete waste of time. On more than one occasion the lights of a following car managed to convince the light that it was daytime and the lamp switched itself off.

Well worth paying for the standlight function, though.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I run a Solidlights 1203D from a SON. It's simply brillaint and fires up at very low speeds - certaily providing enough light for steep uphill grovelling. Beam pattern is excellent and brightness is quite astonishing for a dynamo system.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    +1. I run the same SON / Solildlights setup.
  • Magnus Thor
    Magnus Thor Posts: 239
    +2 for the Son/Solidlights setup. Since I leave for work around 5 in the morning I use my lights 9 months every year and the 1203D has been brilliant (pun intended) It's also survived 3 Icelandic winters and shows no sign of giving up the ghost.

Magnus Thor
    Iceland
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    I have two of the Supernova E3s, an original from a couple of years ago and the newer brighter model (On different bikes) The old one was good the new one fantastic. Its single LED is as bright as Solidlights two and there's less wasted light. I've ridden alongside someone with an IQ fly, it's very different, the E3 is a traditional LED cone beam, the IQ is far more focused. I'd say the E3 reached further but not by much. The E3 is over twice the price of the IQ, there's no way the light could be described as twice as useful. On the other hand the E3 is beautifully engineered compared to the plastic IQ you'd expect it to last twice as long. Supernova are also a smaller company with decent customer support, they upgraded my older light to the new spec for £35, I can't imagine many companies doing that. The rear LED is also neat and very tough.
    supernova-lights say their E3 is the brightest light approved by EU countries
    but this implies there is a brighter light - anyone know it?
    The German version of the E3 is approved, the brighter international version isn't. The 60lux international version claims to be the brightest dynamo light on Earth!
    Google around for info - one reviewer compared the B&M to the Supernova and preferred the beam pattern of the B&M for practical road use. Some very useful user reviews on the CTC forums too.
    If that's the review I’m thinking of, it was comparing the original E3 with the current B&M. The newer LED is twice as bright.
  • graham_g
    Some very interesting points on the E3, I could probably be tempted if i were to find myself doing a lot more night riding.

Another useful point, which doesn't bother some people but does me, the B&M lights include and integral reflector so you don't have to have one elsewhere on the bike (I like to be as legal as possible!)