Tour of Flanders sportive

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
Anyone received their number, instructions etc in the post yet? Last year I got mine a month or two before the event so now I'm getting officially worried.

Andy
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Same here..............nothing yet and it's 2 weeks today. Think you can enter on the line on the morning, so maybe take your confirmation e-mail with you to prove you've already entered.
  • vermooten
    Well I'm glad I'mnot the only one,thanks Bronzie. Yes you can enter on the line if worst comes to the worst - or at least you could last year.

Manchester Wheelers
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Chaps, I registered the day before last year. It was a bit of a scrum due to the lack of an orederly queue; took about an hour.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    All I have is an email confirming that I had registered. I plan too take that with me on the day so I do not get charged again. This is my first attempt at Flanders or any sportive for that matter and after todays 40 mile outing I am having second thoughts on whether I should do the sportive as i have heard that it is quite difficult. If I do go through with it whats the best way to get from brussels to Ninove for the start of the 140 km run? good luck all those who entered and hope you all have a bash? Maybe see you there.
  • cjcp
    Ram - I did it last year after very little training; my first event of this kind too. I did get tired at the end, but it was only the bergs that required bursts of energy and the flat 3k stretch of cobbles (Kassisen or something?). I think there were two fuel stops - the first was a Pepsi or Coke stop after about 3-4 hours and the other was about 1 hour from the end where they hand out energy drinks and these magical little waffles - they gave me that lift I needed. The crowd up the Mur gives you a lift too and then it's only the Bosberg and a really fast, smooth road to the finish after that.

Just take it easy and enjoy yourself.

I can't help you with the travel from Brussels though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • vermooten
    ram038 wrote:
    ... I am having second thoughts on whether I should do the sportive as i have heard that it is quite difficult....
    No dood you gotta do it. it's not difficult compared to a UK sportive, just very bumpy.
    ram038 wrote:
    whats the best way to get from brussels to Ninove for the start of the 140 km run?
    Trains in Belgium are great: http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/index.php but remember you have to buy a ticket for your bike as well as for yourself!

Manchester Wheelers
  • ram038
    Thanks for your replies chaps. i feel a little better this morning though legs are still sore. Really looking forward to the trip now, don't know if I'm more exicted about the race or the BEER. Thanks for the travel info seems relatively straightforward.
  • vermooten
    Beer, chips and mayo!

Manchester Wheelers
  • cjcp
    vermooten wrote:
    Beer, chips and mayo!

Amen.

I ate like a crazy man after finishing last year.

Ram - Take some cash with you during the ride. There are lots of food stalls at the finish area, and, if you're like me, you will want to eat anything in sight.

Don't forget to try the Kwak too. Beer of the Gods.

Another tip - when you cross the finish line and take your bike into the finishing/spectators/registration area afterwards, there will be people looking to collect your number and give you Isostar bags in return. I duly handed over my number, but don't. I can't remembered what you could get if you handed it over later, but it might have been a t-shirt or something. It was better than Isostar anyway! Vermooten - is this right?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bronzie
    cjcp wrote:
    Don't forget to try the Kwak too. Beer of the Gods.
    Amen to that!

519618482_db8532c81f.jpg
  • vermooten
    cjcp wrote:
    Another tip - when you cross the finish line and take your bike into the finishing/spectators/registration area afterwards, there will be people looking to collect your number and give you Isostar bags in return. I duly handed over my number, but don't. I can't remembered what you could get if you handed it over later, but it might have been a t-shirt or something. It was better than Isostar anyway! Vermooten - is this right?
    I was in a daze when I finished. I handed over some pieces of paper and got t-shirts, bidons, a musette, another t-shirt, a certificate... Yes I think when you hand back your rider number you get the goody bag or 10 euros or something like that. Like you all I could think of was food. Spilled a huge dolllop of mayo on my front wheel while lusting after the woman on the chip van. Classy huh.

Manchester Wheelers
  • cjcp
    vermooten wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I was in a daze when I finished. I handed over some pieces of paper and got t-shirts, bidons, a musette, another t-shirt, a certificate... Yes I think when you hand back your rider number you get the goody bag or 10 euros or something like that. Like you all I could think of was food. Spilled a huge dolllop of mayo on my front wheel while lusting after the woman on the chip van. Classy huh.

I hope you didn't waste the mayo by not scooping it off the wheel.

Just discovered that they've put the Koppenberg on this year's route. Gutted - it wasn't included last year and I'm not doing it this year and I really want a crack at that one.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bronzie
    cjcp wrote:
    Just discovered that they've put the Koppenberg on this year's route.
    Aaaaah - do you reckon I'll get up it on 39x25 (presuming it's dry - if it's wet everyone will be walking / waddling anyway)?

Or put another way, I think the Patterberg (1-in-5?) was the steepest / hardest to keep moving on last year, will the Koppenberg be worse than this?

PS A mate in my club says his entry pack arrived in the post this morning 8)
  • cjcp
    Paterberg has that little kick at the top, doesn't it? I think you'll be fine. :-) Tbh, from what I've heard from clubmates, it's the amount of traffic which is the biggest problem, and even more so if it's wet. My approach on the Paterberg was to hammer on the pedals when I saw a bit of space ahead of me to keep the momentum going over that kick.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    finally got the entry number through today! Number 1179. Anyone else?
  • vermooten
    still waiting... But still got a frikken cough so it's probably just academic

Manchester Wheelers
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    Me too, still waiting. By the way, if anyone has a spare ticket for the morning Ninove - Brugges bus, please let me know....Thanks.
  • ram038
    anyonr know the timetable for the race on Sunday?
  • wheeler585
    wheeler585 Posts: 552
    Hi all is it ok to register on the day do you know?
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • vermooten
    you could sign up onthe day last year

Manchester Wheelers
  • ram038
    wheeler585 wrote:
    Hi all is it ok to register on the day do you know?

i got an email from the organisers to confirm that you can register on the day.
  • Mar ge
    Mar ge Posts: 88
    For sure you can register on the day but be ready for a queue. (though as long as you are early it shouldn't be too bad).

I've got my number through the post but I'm only doing the 145 (on my slick shod mountainbike as I dare not tackle the Paterberg with my lowest option of 41/26).....
  • I have still had nothing through - is it just me or is anybody else still waiting??

Tom
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    Unless it arrived this morning after I left for work I've not received anything yet either.

Slightly disconcerting as I've booked to get the bus from Ninove to the start in Brugge and I don't fancy turning up at 5.30am to find they won't let me on the bus.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    yep, me and a mate still waiting. Might have to cycle to Brugges.
  • vermooten
    still waiting, but I got this email from the organisers yesterday:
    to vermooten
    date 31 Mar 2008 07:22
    subject RE: not received my rider number yet
    Everything is ok and your package has been sent. When you will not receive it this week you can pick it up the day of the race at the registration desk. ( voorinschrijvingen )

On Friday between 14 u and 19u or on saturdaymorning in Brugge.

info@golazo.com
    tel . :+32 / 11 45 99 00
    fax. : +32 / 11 45 99 10

Manchester Wheelers
  • Bronzie
    Still not got my pack either yet.

The forecast is:
    http://www.meteo.be/meteo/view/en/65239 ... rpage=true
    showers with a low of 5° and a high of 9° - could be slippy on the "clinkers" :shock:
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    Thanks for sharing that Vermooten. I was hoping that I could get it sorted at the registration desk on Friday so it's good to have it in writing as they didn't reply to my email.

Bike is now all packed and I'm off on the Eurostar tomorrow. Good luck everyone.
  • ram038
    nottscobb wrote:
    Thanks for sharing that Vermooten. I was hoping that I could get it sorted at the registration desk on Friday so it's good to have it in writing as they didn't reply to my email.

Bike is now all packed and I'm off on the Eurostar tomorrow. Good luck everyone.

nottscobb whats the measurments of your bike bag I am going on eurostar tomorrow and I am worried that they won't accept my bike bag . they state on their website that the bag should be no bigger than a normal suitcase, what is classed as a normal suitcase? Did you take the handlebars and seat of your bike?.
  • vermooten
    Bronzie wrote:
    Still not got my pack either yet.

The forecast is:
    http://www.meteo.be/meteo/view/en/65239 ... rpage=true
    showers with a low of 5° and a high of 9° - could be slippy on the "clinkers" :shock:
    Looks like the wind might be up too - 19mph, and two rain drops on the Beeb for Bruges forecast.

Manchester Wheelers