Bike bag - hire (Manchester area preferably)

NFMC
NFMC Posts: 232
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone know if it's possible to hire a bike bag? Can't bring myself to pay upwards of £50.00 for a one-off trip. Otherwise I'm buying one of the £4.00 ones from the CTC-shop.

I'm based in Manchester....so local to here would be good (but I've googled all the local shops and none seem to offer it).

Comments

• tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    How long are you going for? I could probably lend you mine as it's sitting in my cellar at the moment doing nothing. It's a dhb padded bag from Wiggle - very big with internal wheel pockets. I live in Chorlton.
  • NFMC
    Aren't people kind! Thanks for the offer.

It's only a short trip (6 days to New York) but it's not until 30 April next year. I'm just that desperate to travel - and bored at work - that I'm doing my research and planning now.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    The 5 Boro tour of New York is that weekned too..Is that what you are going for?
    http://www.nycbikemaps.com/5_Boro_Bike_Tour_2006.php
    jc
  • NFMC
    Hopefully...I've registered for it.

I've been to New York previously and remember thinking it would be a great place to cycle as it's quite compact and not too hilly. The traffic would be bad but I'm used to cycling in Manchester and London so I imagine it wouldn't be too bad.

So...I've seen that 5-boro thing on the internet and persuaded my wife that that would be a good excuse to go!
  • jc4lab
    Last year it did sell out so book ahead. if you really keen to do it..Marshalls will stop anyone not wearing the event's bib crossing the bridges....Best wishes
    jc
  • NFMC
    So...have you done it? Would you recommend it and/or cycling in New York? Mind you, I'm booked and committed so I'm doing it even if you say it's terrible!!!
  • jc4lab
    Yes..on a Brompton a couple of years ago and enquired this year to find it sold out.. It was wonderful, I was a member of Cycling plus prior to this forum and the thought of being among 30000+ riders was horric to some of them..There are some bottlenecks on the entrance to Bridges so if you find some high vantage point you get the most fantastic photo of it all..
    jc
  • NFMC
    Tony...any chance of a borrow?

If not...can anyone recommend a local shop that may rent one?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    tonyscp wrote:
    I live in Chorlton.

completely unrelated but i've just moved from chorlton 8)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.