Evans on Landis & Vino

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited April 2008 in Pro race
good strong words

"In the past I have been beaten by cheats. Landis, Vinokourov... I know that it could happen again, but I will never search for a short cut." Evans has been edging closer and closer to the top step of the Paris podium: eighth in 2005, fourth in 2006 and 23 seconds back on Alberto Contador in 2007"

cyc news

Comments

• Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I have to say seeing Cadel winning is fantastic and doing it in style too. Makes me wonder why he's never done it before. Why has it taken people laying into him to give him the kick he needed to realise his potential. Either that or he's got different targets this year...

Hope he wins the tour, and i hope people who call him boring get off his back!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Moomaloid wrote:
    I have to say seeing Cadel winning is fantastic and doing it in style too. Makes me wonder why he's never done it before. Why has it taken people laying into him to give him the kick he needed to realise his potential. Either that or he's got different targets this year...

Hope he wins the tour, and i hope people who call him boring get off his back!

He's never done it before because the people he had to attack were Landis, Vino, Rasmussen etc... They're all slowly disappearing.

Apparently he was quite an attacking rider in his MTB days.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Evans is like Beloki, he never will win Tour, if two people ride it he would be second, he need a while to follow

He is a excelent rider, but he isn´t a winner, Spanish cycling magacines call him the "tick" (obvius)
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    victorponf wrote:
    Evans is like Beloki, he never will win Tour, if two people ride it he would be second, he need a while to follow

He is a excelent rider, but he isn´t a winner, Spanish cycling magacines call him the "tick" (obvius)

I've always wondered if he wheel sucks because he's clean and they are doping
  • Evans is the new "PouPou" Poulidor and will be known as "the best rider of his generation never to win the Tour"
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Evans will win the Tour. None of the others have his all round ability.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • This year's route doesn't have enough TT kilometres for him. The organisers liked the idea of a climber winning last year and they've provided a route to celebrate 10 years since Pantani won.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    method wrote:
    Interesting that Evans is "known" to be clean - is this because intuition is more effective than testing?

He's truly the most boring rider and personality in cycling The Steve Davis of cycling. The pre-Wenger Arsenal of cycling.

etc etc
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Timoid. wrote:

Menchov. No Rasmussen to cock up his tactics this year. On form, he can match Evans in the TTs and if anything, he's an even better wheelsucker.
  • dave_1
    I think Evans has done at least one level clean, maybe 3. fro MTB to pro roadie, from roadie to leading the Giro...then 3rd level to grand tour podiums...if he wins this year...that is true progress and I'd bet my life at least some of it's been done clean ..certainly like the way he talks...he's not afraid, he must have few or no skeletons to be talking like quoted above
  • timoid.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Menchov. No Rasmussen to fool up his tactics this year. On form, he can match Evans in the TTs and if anything, he's an even better wheelsucker.

Menchov always has a bad day in the mountains where he loses some time. I think he'll podium perhaps, but no better. Evans is more consistent and a better long TTer. Also, Gesink could either be a help or another Rasmussen.

Although Menchov will have the other Rabobots working for him.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dave_1
    Timoid. wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Menchov. No Rasmussen to fool up his tactics this year. On form, he can match Evans in the TTs and if anything, he's an even better wheelsucker.

Menchov always has a bad day in the mountains where he loses some time. I think he'll podium perhaps, but no better. Evans is more consistent and a better long TTer. Also, Gesink could either be a help or another Rasmussen.

Although Menchov will have the other Rabobots working for him.

I dislike Menchov's vague comments on heras...nowhere near as strong as Cadel's words
  • victorponf
    I think his performance go down under pressure or his final days in Grand Tours are not good enough to win, 3 examples:

Giro 2002: He was in "maglia rosa" an losed more than 7 minutes in the last mountain stage

Tour 2007: He has a good oportunity to win in the final TT and almost lose 2d position. Before he losed the Tour when he didn´t try to follow Contador and Rasmussen in Peyresurde (he prefer fo behind somebody, like always)

Vuelta 2007: He lose podium in the last mountain stage against Sastre and S.Sánchez

I like this rider because he use to ride 2 GT (I don´t like Amstrong style of just ride the Tour) but i´m sure he never will win the Tour.
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,747
    vermooten wrote:
    method wrote:
    Interesting that Evans is "known" to be clean - is this because intuition is more effective than testing?

He has done time with T-Mob, that's enough for me :twisted:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Am I the only person who doesn't think what a person says has any impact on how clean they are? If I was a pro EPO'd up to the gills I'd have no issue talking about other riders robbing me. And if you're a prickly type person who doesn't care what people think about you it's even easier.

Not saying this is true of Cadel but he may as well be saying "I never tested positive"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • timoid.
    victorponf wrote:
    I think his performance go down under pressure or his final days in Grand Tours are not good enough to win, 3 examples:

Giro 2002: He was in "maglia rosa" an losed more than 7 minutes in the last mountain stage

Tour 2007: He has a good oportunity to win in the final TT and almost lose 2d position. Before he losed the Tour when he didn´t try to follow Contador and Rasmussen in Peyresurde (he prefer fo behind somebody, like always)

Vuelta 2007: He lose podium in the last mountain stage against Sastre and S.Sánchez

I like this rider because he use to ride 2 GT (I don´t like Amstrong style of just ride the Tour) but i´m sure he never will win the Tour.

If you believe he's clean, then that answers your question. HCT drops over a GT for riders unless they are receiving medical assistance, thus their performance goes down.

That Git Leipheimer winning a TT or Sanchez monstering it in the high mountains at the end of the GT when a superior rider struggles would indicate that they might not have dropped too many HCT points.
  • victorponf
    Timoid. wrote:
    victorponf wrote:

If you believe he's clean, then that answers your question. HCT drops over a GT for riders unless they are receiving medical assistance, thus their performance goes down.

That Git Leipheimer winning a TT or Sanchez monstering it in the high mountains at the end of the GT when a superior rider struggles would indicate that they might not have dropped too many HCT points.

are you a doctor? do you have those samples? Because you are very sure...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I think the final Vuelta TT for the last few years has been the most obvious indicator of blood doping in cycling given what we know about hct drops over the length of GTs. Other things being equal.

Strava is not Zen.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    iainf72 wrote:
    Am I the only person who doesn't think what a person says has any impact on how clean they are? If I was a pro EPO'd up to the gills I'd have no issue talking about other riders robbing me. And if you're a prickly type person who doesn't care what people think about you it's even easier.

Not saying this is true of Cadel but he may as well be saying "I never tested positive"
    Certainly not. I too would play whatever game was required of me if I were charging up.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    vermooten wrote:
    method wrote:

He's truly the most boring rider and personality in cycling The Steve Davis of cycling. The pre-Wenger Arsenal of cycling.

etc etc

I wasn't suggesting he was clean, I have no idea if he is or not and neither do I care.
    Just wondering out loud, if what appears to be boring riding is someone clean clinging to the pace for dear life.
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:

Hmm, I dunno. I think it's reasonable to say that the riders have a good knowledge of which of their opponents are clean and which are dopers.

So if you're a doper, and your rivals know you're a doper, then it's best to keep your mouth shut. If you go around making accusations, then you're leaving yourself wide open for other riders to accuse you (anonymous tip-off, etc). If you're clean, then you have nothing to lose.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    There's not much risk accusing those who've already been found out. Are you gonna listen to Vino if he squeals on Evans? Thought not.
  • afx237vi
    drenkrom wrote:
    There's not much risk accusing those who've already been found out. Are you gonna listen to Vino if he squeals on Evans? Thought not.

Why not? People have no trouble believing what Sinkewitz has to say.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    afx237vi wrote:
    Hmm, I dunno. I think it's reasonable to say that the riders have a good knowledge of which of their opponents are clean and which are dopers.

From the end of last year's Tour de France (and QuickStep and Lotto must known each other pretty well):

Tom Boonen said yesterday that, of the remaining favourites actually left in this year's race, he picked Evans as one of the riders he still trusts. "I have given up my belief in most of the rest," he confessed. "It is possible to ride the Tour without doping, and to ride and win too. Cadel Evans proves in my eyes that you could win it without doping."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/news/?id=/news/2007/jul07/jul27news
    Twitter: @RichN95