Bullshet.

robbarker
robbarker Posts: 1,367
edited April 2008 in The bottom bracket
What is is with marketing departments at the moment? Everything has to be a "set".

A group of components has long been known as a "groupset" and it's spreading.

We no longer see a pair of wheels for sale, it's a "wheelset". Cranks are now a "crankset" or "chainset". A pair of brakes are becoming a "brakeset", head bearings are a "headset" and I've even seen someone write "forkset" when they meant forks.

What next? A Tyreset instead of a pair of tyres? A mudguardset instead of a pair of mudguards? A clothingset instead of shorts and jersey?

I vote for a backlash against this marketing claptrap. All in favour indicate below!

I think I'll call it the Campaign for Reintroduction of Appropriate Phraseology.

Comments

• TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    I'm with you on this one, Rob... :)
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I think rather more important things about which to fret.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    Don't forget the saddle set as someone told me it was called the other day :?

No it's a saddle, there's not a set of them.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • Frameset used to refer to a frame *and* fork, so it was just about justifiable.

'Groupset' is a foul term. It's a group of components. Or a set. It's not freaking both.

Wheelset is just ugly.It's a pair of wheels FFS.

It's all part of the way the language has been invaded by the jargon of tin-eared marketing swine. I'm going to slap the next person I hear or read use "product", "offering" and, most nauseating of all, "solution". If you think riding a bike is a problem, go pollute another industry you double-talking scum-sucker.
    John Stevenson
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    John, there's a risk you might be biting the hand that feeds? If these guys we'ren't coming up with all these weasly ways of re-describing products features that already existing, your advertising and product tests would be pretty thin. What annoys me more are the completely innappropropriate or wrong use of materials or engineering terms, such as 'resin' when in fact they mean plastic or polymer, or carbon composite when it reality it's an injection-moulded polymer with a bit of carbon black stuffed in it!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i don't like synergy either...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    robbarker wrote:
    A clothingset instead of shorts and jersey?

Er....I fear this may just enrage you further :D

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... 451993f073
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    APIII wrote:
    robbarker wrote:
    A clothingset instead of shorts and jersey?

Er....I fear this may just enrage you further :D

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... 451993f073

Nah, there's a space before the word set........and it's actually a set of matching kit.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    John, there's a risk you might be biting the hand that feeds?

Quite possibly, but that's never stopped me before.
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If these guys weren't coming up with all these weasly ways of re-describing products features that already existing, your advertising and product tests would be pretty thin.

The gear we're testing would still be there and our job would still be to comment on it; we just wouldn't have to fight through the BS to do so (and risk the infection by that BS that comes from constant exposure to it.
    Monty Dog wrote:

What annoys me more are the completely inappropriate or wrong use of materials or engineering terms, such as 'resin' when in fact they mean plastic or polymer, or carbon composite when it reality it's an injection-moulded polymer with a bit of carbon black stuffed in it!

Agreed. If you find a BikeRadar review with such errors, let me know and I'll fix it.
    John Stevenson
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Americans seem to call Cassettes "Cogsets" aswell.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Americans seem to call Cassettes "Cogsets" aswell.

Which, to be fair, is a bit more descriptive than 'Cassette'.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Frameset used to refer to a frame *and* fork, so it was just about justifiable.

'Groupset' is a foul term. It's a group of components. Or a set. It's not freaking both.

Wheelset is just ugly.It's a pair of wheels FFS.

It's all part of the way the language has been invaded by the jargon of tin-eared marketing swine. I'm going to slap the next person I hear or read use "product", "offering" and, most nauseating of all, "solution". If you think riding a bike is a problem, go pollute another industry you double-talking scum-sucker.

"Marketing swine" - Good one. I like it.
    "Scum sucker" - An older one, but very well put.

Dennis Noward