New Power Meter

Mike Willcox
Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
There is a new power meter being tested which is wireless and uses motion sensor attached to one of of your legs just above the knee. It measures cadence and stresses in the leg and gives a continuous readout. The only problem is that in order to read it you have to bob your head up and down at the same rate as you pedal. The makers claim that this could be s problem if you pedal at over 90 rpm and they are working on a handlebar display.

Should be on the market by April 1st next year.

On the other hand it could all be a load of bollox, much like the other power meters you can buy. IOW an expensive luxury unnecessary to anyone with half a brain wanting to get fit for riding a bike.

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Erm is that the one that gives unreliable readouts if you've done any weight training in the previous 6 months? - in which case it wouldn't work for me, which is a shame. there is rumoured to be an update model for ex headbangers from Birmingham being developed too. Initial research was carried out using kangaroos, measuring the strain induced between pouch and crotch when hopping if I remember right.
    :lol:
  • Mike Willcox
    Erm is that the one that gives unreliable readouts if you've done any weight training in the previous 6 months? - in which case it wouldn't work for me, which is a shame. there is rumoured to be an update model for ex headbangers from Birmingham being developed too. Initial research was carried out using kangaroos, measuring the strain induced between pouch and crotch when hopping if I remember right.

Are you 'aving a laugh? :D
  • ut_och_cykla

Are you 'aving a laugh? :D

Moi? Non monsieur! :D
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Hopefully it'll be incredibly expensive so that I *KNOW* it's worth spending big bucks on it.
  • Mike Willcox
    Bronzie wrote:
    Hopefully it'll be incredibly expensive so that I *KNOW* it's worth spending big bucks on it.

:oops: :shock:
  • ut_och_cykla
    It should cost about what my parents paid for thier first house I think - is that enough? Perhaps not - times it by four like eth restaurant business too ... now that's more like it. Oh and make sure only the manufacturers can change the battery... :)
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I'm going to get one for my newly carbon wrapped alu frame. As featured on cyclingnews. :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    SunWuKong wrote:
    I'm going to get one for my newly carbon wrapped alu frame. As featured on cyclingnews. :D
    Prior to going to the alps in the summer I'm thinking of carbon wrapping my calves
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ut_och_cykla
    Why stop at your calves? I'm going to do my whole body as it seems that carbon is teh only way to go if you want to be a real cyclist (assuming that is you can get your hands on the hkangaroo power meter revealed above)
  • Bronzie
    It should cost about what my parents paid for thier first house I think - is that enough?
    SOLD - where do I sign up? :lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Why stop at your calves? I'm going to do my whole body as it seems that carbon is teh only way to go if you want to be a real cyclist (assuming that is you can get your hands on the hkangaroo power meter revealed above)
    It does seem like the way forward. I might leave my feet unwrapped though, as I don't want a large carbon footprint. (ba-doom-ching)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    SunWuKong wrote:
    Prior to going to the alps in the summer I'm thinking of carbon wrapping my calves
    My next leg will actually be carbon fibre :)

As to the power meter, just as well it's an above knee model, means I'll be able to test it. :lol:
  • ut_och_cykla
    JonGinge wrote:
    It does seem like the way forward. I might leave my feet unwrapped though, as I don't want a large carbon footprint. (ba-doom-ching)

Or as Basil brush would say... boom boom
  • Bronzie
    Alex - hope the rehabilitation is coming along well.

I ride the local track with a guy with an artificial aero bladed-carbon fibre racing leg with a Look cleat on the bottom - his amputation is just below the knee I think. First time I saw him replacing his "normal" leg with the racing leg I was a bit taken aback, but quite used to it now. He's a pretty good rider BTW - used to ride at national level for disabled riders, and still capable of giving us 3rd and 4th cats a very hard time.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Bronzie wrote:
    Alex - hope the rehabilitation is coming along well.

I ride the local track with a guy with an artificial aero bladed-carbon fibre racing leg with a Look cleat on the bottom - his amputation is just below the knee I think. First time I saw him replacing his "normal" leg with the racing leg I was a bit taken aback, but quite used to it now. He's a pretty good rider BTW - used to ride at national level for disabled riders, and still capable of giving us 3rd and 4th cats a very hard time.

Wonder if its from the Heather Mills shopping channel :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • Bronzie
    mrushton wrote:
    Errr.......probably should've put a note in my last post to point out that bit is not an April Fools - I really do know a guy who races with a carbon leg, and unfortunately, Alex really did lose part of his leg following a crash while out training. :oops:
  • ut_och_cykla
    Bronzie wrote:
    mrushton wrote:
    Errr.......probably should've put a note in my last post to point out that bit is not an April Fools - I really do know a guy who races with a carbon leg, and unfortunately, Alex really did lose part of his leg following a crash while out training. :oops:

Oh goodness that's awful for Alex - didn't realise - thought it was just his Aussie humour.

But I suppose its good that prosthetics and physio (and sheer bl**dy mindedness) helps amputees live such full lives. I was passed by a guy with only one leg on Mt Ventoux. Later passed him just after Simpson monument, sobbing on his girlfriend's shoulder. He finally made it up - she looked SOOOO relieved. Chapeau! as someoen writes here.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    SunWuKong wrote:

I saw that. Kind of left me at a loss for words. Guy will probably make a ton of money
    before the, what's the right word, "fad" wears off. Some times it seems that all you have
    to do is make something, make wild claims about what it can do, and you're in the money.
    I think I could come up with stuff like that. My problem is I don't or can't believe that people
    would actually pay for these weird things but it happens all the time.

Dennis Noward
  • Mike Willcox
    dennisn wrote:
    SunWuKong wrote:

I saw that. Kind of left me at a loss for words. Guy will probably make a ton of money
    before the, what's the right word, "fad" wears off. Some times it seems that all you have
    to do is make something, make wild claims about what it can do, and you're in the money.
    I think I could come up with stuff like that. My problem is I don't or can't believe that people
    would actually pay for these weird things but it happens all the time.

Dennis Noward

It was an April Fool's joke. It was - wasn't it? :shock: