Looking for various bits...

MountainPete
MountainPete Posts: 418
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
Beginning to start a bit of an upgrade and I want a couple of opinions.

Firstly - inner tubes. I want some light, cheapish yet strong and durable inner tubes (if such a thing exists!) for XC or AM use. They should fit tyres between 1.95 and 2.1. There are so many flavours of tube it is hard to keep track of the ones you have seen, so any recommendations or avoids would be great!

Work Stand - I've been tempted by work stands for a while now, but I really don't want to spend that much at all. I have found this one from Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10231 It is really cheap and looks like just the ticket but I wonder if anyone have any experience with it. If you have any other (cheap!) suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Lubes - Generally, lubes for the bits that move (other than then chain). Are there any 'special' lubricants for things like derailleurs, cables, hubs and other bearings? Suggestions (and which 'group' they belong to) are also welcome!

Looking back at this post, inner tubes, lubes and a workstand don't appear to be much of an upgrade, but they are part of one :)

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have 2 bike stands, one of which is the one you have linked to. it is suprisingly good but a couple of points, firstly, its hard to remove and replace the rear wheel when the bike is mounted. second, beware the rubber on the clamp part can split (has on mine) also the spring can ride up onto the curved part of the clamp meaning it will press against your frame.

finally, what bike are you hoping to be mounting (fnaar fnaar) as not all will fit, i couldnt use it with my reign and i cant use it with my willow which lead me to buy this a while ago.

tis pricier but much more versatile and better quality. i think there are versions with tool trays on them too which would be a handy addition.
  • I'm hoping to mount my GT Aggressor (1). The top tube isn't that 'thick' (3cm diameter ish), but if it is mounted by the downtube (which I find highly unlikely) then it probably won't as that is quite fat.

What makes it so difficult to attach the rear wheel? I think I should also add that I might be replacing headsets and bottom brackets with this stand, so let me know if you don't think if it is 'up to it'.
  • Found another real cheapie workstand http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/100714.html
  • Anonymous
    it will take your gt no probs, the bottom bracket rests in the black plastic cup which you see about half way down the longest tube of the stand and the metal hook just above that clamps down on the down tube of the bike.

the 2 flat metal straps you see at the top are to hold the front wheels straight.

the reason it is hard to remove the rear wheel is that when you try to move the wheel down, out of the drop outs, it contacts the stand.

should be able to do the jobs you're planning on.

the stand is ok, just not as good as the other that i showed you.
  • Anonymous
    the stand looks like this when a bike is mounted in it:

30_1_b.JPG
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    For inner tubes,standard 150-160g Specialized ones are a good compromise between weight and durability.

Continental do light,125g and 100g supersonic supersonic tubes,but they might not be such a good idea for anything other than light xc use.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Thanks guys!

sheepsteeth - Although the Union workstand looks really good, I don't want to spend that much at all (perhaps in the future I will). Having the picture of a bike mounted on the X-Tools one makes it a whole lot clearer! I think it is the right choice.

The Spiderman - Thanks for those inner tube suggestions. I will take a look!
  • Anonymous
    if i could have fitted my reign onto the stand i would have not bothered with a different one, its pretty good, you will be pleased with it im sure.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I also have the X-Tools stand, and it works fine for ny needs. It actually holds my bike more securly than the Park Tools one in the shop (although that is because the base on the Park one is bent so it wobbles!)
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Thanks again! It seems to be one of those good deals :) I've just found 10 specialized inner tubes for £20 too :)
  • BlackSpur
    Yep, Tredz is doing BOGOF on 5 packs :wink:
  • Looks like a good deal to me! :):)
  • BlackSpur
    Without a doubt! I've already stocked up myself.