Shimano H-tech 2 Bearings, How long are they meant to last ?

wop
wop Posts: 41
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I've had a Hollowtech II setup on my orange five for 8 months and the bearings are starting to go.

Well the bb is making a knocking noise and i think the cranks are starting to slip, so i guess the bearings are on there way out?

Is it worth buying new shimano cups or do i stump up for a hope bb?

Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how do you mean slip?

Oh and 8 months over winter is not bad for any bb.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wop
    Well i had an old square taper bb and when that was shot when i applied loads of pressure on the cranks i nearly ate the handle bars!

It feels like that basically, going uphill when im putting loads of presure i think i feel it move?

I've recently changed the cassette, chain and middle ring because they were worn.

The only other thing i was going to check was that i'd done the cranks up okay.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    8 months is reasonable, external bearings are very exposed. I'd look at the hope stainless steel ones (or if you've cash to burn the ceramic ones) or acros ceramic ones from wheelspin
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well i would say that you need to repreload the bearings.

Have a read of the how toos on park if you are not sure.

Are you sure that the chain is not jumping? the free body is not on the way out?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wop
    Will check the preload, i watched the video on here on how to install them!

The chain is fine, no jumps!

My next upgrade was going to be a new hub...

Thanks guys
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    best test for the bb is to remove the chain and whilst holding the seat tube, spin the cranks, if you can feel any grittiness or rumbling, the bearings are done.
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    i'm on my second hollowtech bb seem to get about a 1000 miles out of each one which i thought was ok
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    There does seem to be a vast variation. I've had mine on for over 18 months and 1500 miles and it's still going strong, but I've heard stories of them giving up the ghost at 300 miles.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    2100 miles on mine and still smooth, quite impressed really :)
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    1000 miles through very deep, very sticky ploughed winter mud and still ok on my LX.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    if you can feel any grittiness or rumbling, the bearings are done.

B*gger, I think they were OK until I took them out to regrease and clean :( .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    dalbys my local trail its fairly sandy in some parts which i dont think helps but up on the north yokshire moors the terraincan be very unforgiving it seems to eat bike parts like no tomorrow but its my fav play ground by miles :D