Polar CS100 cycle computer

ChrisBowers
ChrisBowers Posts: 31
edited April 2008 in Workshop
Hi

I had some issues yesterday with my Polar CS100. My cycle computer kept pausing when I was going under 7mph and giving a display of 0mph. I have the auto start function set as on.

Anyone had any similar problems with one of these? Also I have the wheel setting as 2070 (700 x 23C) according to the manual. I have noticed that the cycle computer on my other bike seems to give me higher milage readings after some of my training runs. For example 50 miles compared to 48.5 on the Polar.

Cheers

Comments

• bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    werent riding near over head power lines (railway tracks) were you? Mine does this then. Otherwise is the magnet close enough to the pick up sensor? Ive seen no reading at low speeds but once the bike is moving and the spokes flexing its close enough. Failing that you may need a new battery.

Secondly never trust the wheel sizes in books or manuals. As tyres are all different you can take 10 700x23 tyres and they'll all have different circumfrances. The only way to get an accurate measurement is a big tape measure and measure around the wheel. My preferred method is height of the wheel x pi
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    bigdawg wrote:
    My preferred method is height of the wheel x pi

How many decimal places do you take pi to?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bigdawg
    only 2

• werent riding near over head power lines (railway tracks) were you? Mine does this then. Otherwise is the magnet close enough to the pick up sensor? Ive seen no reading at low speeds but once the bike is moving and the spokes flexing its close enough. Failing that you may need a new battery.

Secondly never trust the wheel sizes in books or manuals. As tyres are all different you can take 10 700x23 tyres and they'll all have different circumfrances. The only way to get an accurate measurement is a big tape measure and measure around the wheel. My preferred method is height of the wheel x pi

Not sure it was near Mow Cop on Chehire Cat Sportive. I'll check the sensor and magnet distance. I'll have a go at the wheel x pi for the size.

Thanks
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I've had issues with mine when the auto start/stop is on. When its off its been fine.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I have a CS200 and have it set at 2091 for a 23mm tyre. I came to this figure by measuring how far the wheel travels in one revolution. I have also had problems with it pausing while I am still moving the sensor has been back to Polar but they found nothing wrong with it.
    I certainly won’t buy another one.
  • Thanks for replies. I have set the wheel size now to height of wheel x Pi. So I'll see how if it seems more realistic.

I did have a cheapo sigma compter I thought I'd get the polar one for its functionallity as the other was a bit scuffed. I'm wondring if it was a wate now. :?
  • bigdawg
    ive used the cs200 for racing and riding, on three bikes for over 18 months now. THe only problem I have had, as I said, was cycling near over head power cables or train lines, and the sensor not being close enough to the wheel or crank (usually on my cross or mtb where its a lot bumpier.

I did read about some sensors being sold with virtually dead batteries a while back (maybe on here if you do a search) from what I remember polar were repalcing them...