opinions on boardman mountain pro

nick1983
nick1983 Posts: 34
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Am looking to spend 1k on a hardtail bike and will be getting one through the bike 2 work scheme so will only end up paying around 600 for it.

I have been looking at the boardman mountain pro and think it will be what i go for, the spec is great and I know there is some snobbery around halfords/ bike hut, but this is only being sold through bikehut and is not a halfords product as such.

Just wondered if there were some owners here who had some opinions on them?

Thanks!

Comments

• z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    its a nice looking bike but boardman isnt known for his mtb skills
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Just because the bike carries Boardman's name doens't mean he designed it. It's an amazing bike for the money, recently given 10/10 in one of the mags.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    i didnt say he did design it
  • kpr1969
    kpr1969 Posts: 112
    Excellent bike and the spec is 2nd to none, the only problem is it isn't a 'name' bike.
    It isn't a specialized or a marin or a trek or a giant. If it had one of those names on its frame it would sell by the bucketload.
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Looks fine to me.. I can't see any problem with it at all. Damn good value for the money as well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i like the look of them in the flesh, that top tube is strange but quite a nice detail
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    is that the one with a £150 rear mech on it? why? yeah good spec but i'd like to know more about the frame, double butted? 6061? hydro? who makes it? looks like a quality bike though.
  • nick1983
    havent had too much oportunity to try in shop for size, am unsure wether I need an 18" or 20"... any tips for sussing out the best fit when i do try them, what should i be looking out for?

thanks

N
  • dunker
    how tall are you? inside leg?
  • BlackSpur
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    I was stood next to Chris Boardman at the Track Champs on Saturday for about 5 minutes while Pendleton was beating everyone :)

I didn't have a pen for him to sign anything! grrr.
  • nick1983
    am 182cm high (bout 6ft) and inside leg is 32"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Frame is fully butted, all tubes - whole bike is less than 24lbs!
  • kpr1969
    what does the 'team' weigh?

how do you know that by the way?
  • nick1983
    based on my height and leg measurements does anyone know wether an 18" or 20" frame would be a better fit?
  • dunker
    i'm a 31" inside leg and ride a 17" but that's a different frame to the boardman so who knows? 18" with a high saddle and a long stem for chuckability or a 20" with a lower saddle? test ride them both if you can.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    £1000 looks an excellent price for the spec you get.I wonder if these will feature,in Halfords sale.With their customary 30% discount this would be quite some bargain!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • BlackSpur
    kpr1969 wrote:
    what does the 'team' weigh?

how do you know that by the way?

When it comes to bike knowledge, SS is a god, almost on par with Buddha.
  • kpr1969
    i'm 5,11 with 32 inside leg and my 18 team is perfect
  • nick1983
    thanks KPR1969 - how long you had yours? any complaints? did you try a 20" at all?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`m 5 foot 11,and ride a 19" Giant XTC.The top tube length on the 18" Boardman is actually longer than that of my XTC,so I reckon you would probably prefer the 18",but as always,I`d pop into a Hlafords and sit on one to see if it feels right for you.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • nick1983
    thanks for your advice guys - have got an 18" boardman pro on order at my local bike hut - not sure when they ill get it in though... anyone have any inside information?
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    nick1983 wrote:
    thanks for your advice guys - have got an 18" boardman pro on order at my local bike hut - not sure when they ill get it in though... anyone have any inside information?

theyre not available at the moment, they will either get one tnt'd in or they already have one so dont worry!

the new ones have already appeared on our systems so not too long a wait before they come down in price maybe
  • nick1983
    not too long a wait before they come down in price?

why would they come down in price? do you mean new models with new specs?

They contacted me today and estimate early June for getting it in store, do you think this might be sooner or is this pretty accurate?[/quote]
  • heez29
    nick1983 wrote:
    not too long a wait before they come down in price?

why would they come down in price? do you mean new models with new specs?

They contacted me today and estimate early June for getting it in store, do you think this might be sooner or is this pretty accurate?
    [/quote]

well the boardmans have been in my store for 10-11 months i think, so like all 'old' stock it should be coming down in price. if they estimate early june then it could be the newer stuff, its the same price
  • icarus
    icarus Posts: 89
    heez29 wrote:
    well the boardmans have been in my store for 10-11 months i think, so like all 'old' stock it should be coming down in price. if they estimate early june then it could be the newer stuff, its the same price

If thats the case I'd be wanting a spec list for the newer stuff to make sure its at least the same spec.
    Its possible now the Pro has got a good name they might sneak in a few cheaper components.
  • nick1983
    I'm assuming that because they let me order a boardman pro and have told me when it should be coming in (early june) that I should get one of the existing spec etc as that is what I want
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, if you ordered that bike, then you should get that spec. Sometimes get minor changes, like a differnt headset or chain, but if it comes with X7 and Recons, reject it!
  • heez29
    icarus wrote:
    heez29 wrote:

If thats the case I'd be wanting a spec list for the newer stuff to make sure its at least the same spec.
    Its possible now the Pro has got a good name they might sneak in a few cheaper components.

we're in the process of trying to get one, lets hope its nothing too dramatic a change