What do you wear?

Paulq
Paulq Posts: 58
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Just interested to learn what other roadies wear as regular clothing when the weather starts to get a bit nicer at this time of year? I have become so unfit over the last year that I am determined to lose at least 2 stones by the end of the year.

Trouble is I aint exactly Catwalk material in lycra and some of the jerseys I bought when I returned to cycling a few years ago either just don't fit or make me look like a ferrett in a sack :D .

Soooo....what do the gravitaionally challenged like me wear in Spring/Summer to negate feeling like a tub of lard but enabling you to get out on the bike?

At least I can laugh...... :D

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Black?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    Hi Paul,

As the weather starts to warm up I'll be wearing a jersey, arm warmers and a gillet. That way I can regulate my temperature by taking layers off.
    If you don't want to wear standard road cycling jerseys try the freeride type of jersey that mountain bikers wear, they are a bit roomier for those of the fuller figure!
    EG: http://www.foska.com/acatalog/Freeride.html
    Rapha's stuff is sized for the fuller figure (what they tactfully refer to as "UK average male").
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Take a look at my picture. You are asking ME for style advice :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Lol I was thinking about this myself.....I tend to wear black all the time until I think I can pull off colours lol
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    vertical stripes. :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    How about looking at MTB stuff, looser cut, more subdued colours.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Bib Tights or Bib Shorts definitely!!

Especially if your "problem" is mainly around the middle like mine. They tend to do a really good job of "holding things in" :oops: :oops:

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Go for bib shorts, but buy a couple of MtB tops. They're much looser fitting.

For example:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... d%20Jersey
  • Last night I was sporting my bib shorts, knee warmers (important), short sleeve base layer and one of these lovely tops from solo. Great fro this time of year and nice styling

http://www.solocc.com/product.cfm?cat_id=2&id=11
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    I used to be a little round as well, and I just wore white tshirts that were a bit baggy and some shorts.

Now that i've lost a little weight( still have the gut) it's some MTB shorts and usually a sleeveless shirt that's a little more form fitting than a tshirt.

It's not about how you look, it's how you feel. I felt better riding in lycra when I was bigger than loose stuff now. I don't mind people making fun of me or what not for being a little chunky, it's a work in progress.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • ma123
    ma123 Posts: 87
    Hi my middle pops out abit and bib shorts/tights do a great job of holding back the flab, also be careful when buying jerseys online as all companys sizes are different (annoying). I try to find good bike shops so I can try clothing on there and then.

Dont know where you live but I went to the Epic challenge arranged by Epic cycles not long ago they have a good range of clothing and bikes in a nice shop, and there good blokes to chat to aswell.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    There was an anecdote posted on here last year sometime by someone looking at some gilets in a bike shop and there were 'road' and 'MTB' versions.
    He couldn't tell the difference, no extra features on either, so he asked the bloke behind the counter.
    The MTB versions were cut bigger because they're fat, he was told...

Dunno how true this is, of course ! :D
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    :lol::lol::lol:

As was said above

Work in Progress!

I've put on half a stone over the last six weeks, crap weather and work being done on housee, so takeaways have taken their toll!

I'll wear the usual base layers and I have a goalkeeper's shirt over the top, loose fittings because goalies just stand their and blame the defence!

Just wear whats comfortable, work your way in to the tighter stuff as you feel better about yourself
    Richard

Giving it Large