What if Astana....

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited April 2008 in Pro race
While they can't ride in the TDF, they can ride every single stage the day before the official race does so. They should issue a challenge along the lines of: "Anyone who wishes to race against us on the TDF route can do so with us the day before the official race goes." Sure, they'd be pariahs but it would be insanely exciting, especially if other teams showed up to compete. And we could compare the rides of those teams against the real TDF. :D

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    You are Hein Verbruggen and I claim my replica blazer and Swiss expense account.

Strava is not Zen.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    :lol:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Perhaps they could go round with Geoff Thomas, dressed in gorilla suits and carrying buckets to collect for charity.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    I must admit there's logic in the idea, it would be the publicity stunt of the decade. Not sure it would show cycling in a positive light though. They could actually time there stages and compare it to the winner. Would probably get more coverage than the actual tour.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sadly watching a few suspicious riders on a glorified but tragic team camp isn't going to excite anyone. I suppose a couple of journalists would follow it. If only to watch Contador being held at red lights or trying to do his prologue in thick traffic. I suppose it would be called the "rogue race"?

Remember, the Tour is based on over 100 years of history, and the daily surpassing of human limits. It relies not just on a few contenders for the yellow jersey, but on the cast of almost 200 riders. The riders who attack early and get caught during the first week. The local French lads visiting their home villages. The "lanterne rouge". The thrilling sprints. The battle for the green jersey and the polka dot jersey.
  • It used to be about insane suffering in the mountains and small whippet like riders climbing the fastest too..............
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I remember those days - that was before we had 6 footers winning the Queen stage...Think I'll stick with the official version of the Tour and won't miss Astana at all
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    micron wrote:
    I remember those days - that was before we had 6 footers winning the Queen stage...Think I'll stick with the official version of the Tour and won't miss Astana at all

Yes. this year will be great with those believable heroes from Rabobank, Saunier, Silence-Lotto etc.

Oh, and that 6 footer American bloke who won a mountain stage will be there too!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    micron wrote:

Yes. this year will be great with those believable heroes from Rabobank, Saunier, Silence-Lotto etc.

Oh, and that 6 footer American bloke who won a mountain stage will be there too!

and Liquigas and Lampre and Caisse d'Epagne and Quick Step...

Where do you draw the line?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • donrhummy
    Kléber wrote:
    Sadly watching a few suspicious riders on a glorified but tragic team camp isn't going to excite anyone. I suppose a couple of journalists would follow it. If only to watch Contador being held at red lights or trying to do his prologue in thick traffic. I suppose it would be called the "rogue race"?

First off, none of the riders on Astana this year are considered suspect by the UCI, nor are they involved in any ongoing doping investigations. The same cannot be said for many riders who were accepted for this year's TDF.

Second, if Astana did ride the stages 1 day before the race (and especially if any other riders joined them) I can guarantee it'd be huge news and followed by more than 1 journalist and more than cycling journalists.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    iainf72 wrote:
    micron wrote:

I can't believe that you missed High Road off your list, Iain...

Well, you kind of mentioned them.

The OP is a daft idea. But, as mentioned previously, I'd love to see them climbing the mountains whilst trying to cope with all the campervans on the way to getting a prime spot for the next morning, but that wouldn't really be about racing.

WRT to the TdF being "credible" this year, there's been much debate, and I can't see it as so. However,it seems slightly-less-not-credible than last year thus far. If that impression is borne out & is built upon year on year (yeah, I know that neither of these are cast iron certainties), then we might have a credible race in the coming years.
    & can you imagine how big the UCI/ASO bunfight would have been this year if the ASO had've missed out all of the teams linked to dodginess last year? If we go back a few years, then it'd just be French clubs riding!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Timoid. wrote:

and Liquigas and Lampre and Caisse d'Epagne and Quick Step...

Where do you draw the line?

Come come old bean - ASO wouldn't want to annoy a sponsorof one of their events, would they?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,713
    Astana will be busy with the Tour of Austria and Tour de Wallonie in July. I think it is good for these tours to have some 1st division riders for a change. There is some good will to be got there, I think! :wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    donrhummy wrote:
    First off, none of the riders on Astana this year are considered suspect by the UCI, nor are they involved in any ongoing doping investigations. The same cannot be said for many riders who were accepted for this year's TDF.

Second, if Astana did ride the stages 1 day before the race (and especially if any other riders joined them) I can guarantee it'd be huge news and followed by more than 1 journalist and more than cycling journalists.
    What about Kloden? Contador is still dogged by Puerto allegations too.

Huge news? This is an April Fools right?
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    andyp wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

You are wrong, Contador isn´t dogged by Puerto Operation. Fuented said in 2005 (june) that he didn´t know Contador (to the Police (Guardia Civil) and in "The Larguero" the top sports radio program of Spain). Fuentes said after no a direct question about Contador, he said something like, "in the list there are people that i never have treated and even i haven´t see in my life, like Alberto Contador"

It´s important to remember that Contador wasn´t famous then and the year before he was ill (didn´t ride any race, he almost retired after a crash in Vuelta a Asturias after a problem in his brains (something similar to a med in his head)

Sincerily i think Valverde is involved in OP, no Contador

Anyway the idea of ride the day before has no sense, if they do that never will be invited again
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • donrhummy
    victorponf wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

You are wrong, Contador isn´t dogged by Puerto Operation. Fuented said in 2005 (june) that he didn´t know Contador (to the Police (Guardia Civil) and in "The Larguero" the top sports radio program of Spain). Fuentes said after no a direct question about Contador, he said something like, "in the list there are people that i never have treated and even i haven´t see in my life, like Alberto Contador"

It´s important to remember that Contador wasn´t famous then and the year before he was ill (didn´t ride any race, he almost retired after a crash in Vuelta a Asturias after a problem in his brains (something similar to a med in his head)

Sincerily i think Valverde is involved in OP, no Contador

Anyway the idea of ride the day before has no sense, if they do that never will be invited again

Exactly. Keeping Astana out and not the others makes no sense. And to say that Astana embarassed them two years in a row is a lie. Astana didn't ride in the 2006 TDF and the team that was kept out that year was NOT Astana but the team that existed before they were created. Yes, the next year there was some carryover from the previous team (whose riders they took over) but it was not the same team and certainly the 2008 Astana is even farther different as they have new riders AND management.

But yes, they'd never be allowed in the TDF again (assuming UCI doesn't somehow recover and get back power) if they did this.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    The Liberty team that had 5 riders withdrawn in 2006 is really not very dissimilar to Astana at all - especially as Astana became the teams financial backer shortly afterwards. Vinokourov rode in 2007 and Contador - who was excluded in 2006 - was back with the team in 2008.

It is quite a special talent to get excluded from the race 2 times out of 3 years, isn't it?
  • donrhummy
    micron wrote:
    The Liberty team that had 5 riders withdrawn in 2006 is really not very dissimilar to Astana at all - especially as Astana became the teams financial backer shortly afterwards. Vinokourov rode in 2007 and Contador - who was excluded in 2006 - was back with the team in 2008.

It is quite a special talent to get excluded from the race 2 times out of 3 years, isn't it?

Yes especially when you've never failed a drug test and a court of law cleared you of all charges. Guilty until proven innocent is never the right choice.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    donrhummy wrote:
    While they can't ride in the TDF, they can ride every single stage the day before the official race does so. They should issue a challenge along the lines of: "Anyone who wishes to race against us on the TDF route can do so with us the day before the official race goes." Sure, they'd be pariahs but it would be insanely exciting, especially if other teams showed up to compete. And we could compare the rides of those teams against the real TDF. :D

With all the drugs they take it would be hard for them to only stay one day clear.
  • donrhummy
    Still time for Astana.... :lol: