Garmin Edge 705 or Satmap Active 10?

Muzak
Muzak Posts: 78
edited April 2008 in Workshop
One has OS maps and the other seems to have better functions...so, which one do people like best and why?

Comments

• bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    There's no point comparing the two. They're different devices for different purposes. If you want a mapping GPS buy the Satmap. If you want a HRM / cadence / Cycle computer with some GPS mapping capabilities buy the Garmin.
  • Muzak
    bryanm wrote:
    There's no point comparing the two. They're different devices for different purposes. If you want a mapping GPS buy the Satmap. If you want a HRM / cadence / Cycle computer with some GPS mapping capabilities buy the Garmin.

Sounds like a no-brainer to buy the Satmap then. You can get HR & cadence on devices like the Polar ones for about 50 quid.
  • bryanm wrote:
    'Some capabilities'? What doesn't it do? It does route planning (point to point navigation), it tells you where shops, pubs, toilets and cashpoints are, it (with the right map) has good countryside coverage...what's missing?
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Garmin UK maps are not a patch on OS maps.
  • McHattie
    McHattie Posts: 146
    The Satmap can get very expensive if you stray from your local area and need to buy more maps. Long-distance cyclists will need deep pockets as well as strong legs.
  • pware
    pware Posts: 44
    The topological map for the UK from Garmin (version 2) is a joke.
    MANY tracks are missing, and you only have to go on any hiking/gps forum to hear people moaning about how bad the map is.

You have to spend more money on the Garmin for a decent routing map, as the base map will be very basic. Apparent the A1 near me doesn't have any bends in it at all for about 10miles!!!!.

BUT... you can use simple online mapping programs to draw your routes on and then download to the Garmin. You can also update the routing maps to the garmin to allow very good car/road navigation, house 2 house etc.

Unless you get the expensive Polar device, you will not be able to "upload" your ride data to the PC and analyse how you did with the SatMap, you can with the Garmin.

Personally I think the Garmin is much better for ROAD use, as you can get the road detail from Google maps and the many track routing web sites.

The SatMap is only really useful if you are actually going to use the ordance survey information whilst riding. THIS WILL NOT PROVIDE TURN-BY-TURN navigation from Addresses/Postcodes. You will have to draw the route yourself.
    I doubt that you will be able to use the many track web sites either to draw your track? I might be wrong though. http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index ... opic=10053

If the Garmin 705 is like the mapping Vista and Legend devices, then you can do address lookup and get automated turn-by0turn navigation.

If you wish to view Ordanance survey maps, then why not just buy the cheap ViewRanger Software and download the map sections at a VERY good price.
    http://www.viewranger.com/
    Runs on your mobile phone. simple.
  • bryanm wrote:
    Garmin UK maps are not a patch on OS maps.

Erm i've got the topo DVD of great britain with my 705 and its definately from Ordnance Survey. oh and quite agree with Kafka - it does do route mapping with turn by turn directions - its deifnately the best choice for road cycling given that its an excellent computer as well.
    pm
  • I looked at this forum when trying to decide whether to buy Edge 705 or Satmap Active 10
    Discussion nearly put me off buying Satmap but fortunately ended up contacting them directly and found that you can use Satmap to download routes.
    The SatMap is only really useful if you are actually going to use the ordance survey information whilst riding. THIS WILL NOT PROVIDE TURN-BY-TURN navigation from Addresses/Postcodes. You will have to draw the route yourself.
    I doubt that you will be able to use the many track web sites either to draw your track? I might be wrong though. http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index ... opic=10053

Satmap uses XML GPX format to describe routes - I used GPSBabel (http://www.gpsbabel.org) to convert from google-maps output which worked fine (Import to unit using SATSYNC software available from satmap website). I imagine this would work for any other site / software that doesn't support XML GPX directly.

Regarding price of maps £100 ish for GB south at 1:50000 is not too extortionate -( my legs aren't strong enough to bike further than this!) - Satmap comes with 1:100000 full GB roadmap by default (same res as a road atlas - good for getting to a startpoint by car if nothing else - so could spend less if you want) - I'm waiting for my custom 1:25000 map for the area I often offroad in - more expense I know but actually cheaper than buying paper maps!

Anyway for anyone who just wants to know where they are - how to get somewhere else (ie where the closest pub is!) I couldn't recomend the Satmap highly enough. Good screen, easy to use, good maps, good battery life. weatherproof construction, good GPS signal lock,works well in a car/walking as well. I'l still use my Polaris non GPS unit for heartrate / training purposes - as someone said they're cheap and work well!

Alex
  • pware
    pware Posts: 44
    Cheers for the update about using XML GPX data for route on the SatMap Alex!
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    AlexPerry wrote:
    I looked at this forum when trying to decide whether to buy Edge 705 or Satmap Active 10
    Discussion nearly put me off buying Satmap but fortunately ended up contacting them directly and found that you can use Satmap to download routes.

This forum seems to be an Edge 305/605/705 area rather than Satmap,

Best place for Satmap discussion is here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.p ... orum&f=133
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Trebron
    Trebron Posts: 1
    If We take of the Garmin hard rate monitor, speed mater and all the traning accesories, and we just look for the mapping and navigation!
    I like to know if we comper that 2 product, wich is come out winner?
    The test include: point to point navigation! How is work in both?
    2: The map how specific and work in cyties?
    3: Butterie life?
    4: Usability?
    5: Up and down load different maps on this product? Compatibility with other softwares?
    6: possibility to upgrate?

I don't really find on other forums this kind of informations or compering to eachother!

Thanks
  • Muzak
    Trebron wrote:
    If We take of the Garmin hard rate monitor, speed mater and all the traning accesories, and we just look for the mapping and navigation!
    I like to know if we comper that 2 product, wich is come out winner?
    The test include: point to point navigation! How is work in both?
    2: The map how specific and work in cyties?
    3: Butterie life?
    4: Usability?
    5: Up and down load different maps on this product? Compatibility with other softwares?
    6: possibility to upgrate?

I don't really find on other forums this kind of informations or compering to eachother!

Thanks

Yes that is what I would like to know too. Can't really be bothered with HR and cadence so interested to look at mapping, position finding and routing functionality only. The Satmap has proper OS maps (like the paper ones) so has a major advantage on that count. From what I have seen, the 705 maps are nowhere near as good.