Cheapest Mountain Bike

clockworkwar
clockworkwar Posts: 34
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for a (really tight budget) a decent mountain bike for between £50-£150 possibly some movemet in the price.

What I would want from this is a frame with front suspension - that myself a 6ft 1" gent can ride. If possible I would like the frame to be suitable for upgrades although not totally essential.

I use this bike to ride locally from A to B frequently - no trial riding.

What would you suggest?

(Sorry if I placed this in the wrong place.)

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Definitely second hand for that money
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • BlackSpur wrote:
    Definitely second hand for that money

Any places you can recommend?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    CHeapest you can find with an alloy frame, 24 gears and normal spoked wheels.
  • supersonic wrote:

I know, but I want to know wheres the best places to get them from.
  • creamsoda
    creamsoda Posts: 235
    supersonic wrote:

I know, but I want to know wheres the best places to get them from.

Try single track classifieds or flea-bay but beware there seems to be some right lemons on there.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Also try the classifieds ,and put a wanted add on this site and www.uk-mtb.com.
    Be aware a second hand bike,may end up costing as much as a new one by the time you factor in the cost ofconsumables,like tyres,brake pads,cassettes,chains,etc.
    If you could stretch your budget to £200 then you can get something like a Carrera Vulcan,which may end up being better value in the longer term.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Also try the classifieds ,and put a wanted add on this site and www.uk-mtb.com.
    Be aware a second hand bike,may end up costing as much as a new one by the time you factor in the cost ofconsumables,like tyres,brake pads,cassettes,chains,etc.
    If you could stretch your budget to £200 then you can get something like a Carrera Vulcan,which may end up being better value in the longer term.

I may be able to gather together more money for a mountain bike.