Quality bib shorts

musto_skiff
musto_skiff Posts: 394
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I have finally been convinced that a good pair of bibs will improve ride comfort and that the price isn't just driven by fashion :?

So ... any recommendations on a good pair of bibs at the top end?

These are no doubt good ... but are they really worth £100 :shock:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... b%20Shorts

What are the slightly cheaper alternatives or should I just bite the bullet & buy these?

Edit:

These look like a good deal;

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=22005

Why are they discounted so much?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have finally been convinced that a good pair of bibs will improve ride comfort and that the price isn't just driven by fashion :?

What are the slightly cheaper alternatives or should I just bite the bullet & buy these?

Pearl Izumi makes really good stuff at half the price. Now, I am sure that someone will come along and tell you what "trash" Pearl makes but that is to be expected with any
    brand. Assos is really good stuff, if you have lots of disposable income. I've used Pearl
    Izumi for years with no problems. IMHO Assos is more fashion and brand "cachet" than
    function. Although, I'm sure they are comfortable shorts. They had better be at that price.

Dennis Noward
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I recommend The Assos shorts but they are cheaper at Ribble.

I was going to buy a pair today from them, but they didn't have my size, so I blew the cash on a new frame instead.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • musto_skiff
    Ok I have ordered the Pearl Izumi as they were such a good deal ...

I'll see how I go ...
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    If you're new to bib shorts you must do Freddie Mercury / Wrestling moves when putting them on. It's the law.

:wink:
  • musto_skiff
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    If you're new to bib shorts you must do Freddie Mercury / Wrestling moves when putting them on. It's the law.

:wink:

I will warn my wife ...
  • These are good too:
    http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... +BIBSHORTS

Campagnolo Factory Team shorts. Managed to get some of last years at very reduced prices and they're the most comfortable bibs i've ever worn, the insert is perfect.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dennisn wrote:

Pearl Izumi makes really good stuff at half the price. Now, I am sure that someone will come along and tell you what "trash" Pearl makes but that is to be expected with any
    brand. Assos is really good stuff, if you have lots of disposable income. I've used Pearl
    Izumi for years with no problems. IMHO Assos is more fashion and brand "cachet" than
    function. Although, I'm sure they are comfortable shorts. They had better be at that price.

Dennis Noward

I use Pearl Izumi as well for shorts, Evans generally has massive sales of the top end products and you can pick up some real quality bargains

ShockedSoShocked that link is my LBS... lots of lovely campag stuff in there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Assos shorts are very good. i have a few pairs.

However, I also would recommend Giordana Tenax. They are a good bit cheaper than Assos and I find them equally as comfortable.

In fact i have started increasing my Giordana collection as it is not as common as Assos and in my opinion at least it is pretty stylish kit.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I think I must have a bum of steel :lol: I usually buy what ever's going cheap at York Rally and never have any problems even after several hours riding. Or could it be down to my Brooks B17 saddle?

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    I think I must have a bum of steel :lol: I usually buy what ever's going cheap at York Rally and never have any problems even after several hours riding. Or could it be down to my Brooks B17 saddle?

Geoff

Well, you did say it was the perfect saddle, in an earlier post.

Dennis Noward
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    The Assos at Ribble are only in small and XL now, still a good buy at about 40 quid under rrp if they fit you. Can't decide myself betwen Giordana Tenax/ Body Clone or the Santini Twistgel ones over at Prendas.
  • I got a good deal on PI Attacks and I like them a bunch, but I really love my Santini Twist Gels (in a wholesome way) :P
    It\'s not how many miles you put in, but what you put into the miles that counts
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Another vote for the superb Giordana Tenax - make sure you get at least one pair in white. Cool looking and you'll be a stand out in the wet :D
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Another vote for the superb Giordana Tenax - make sure you get at least one pair in white. Cool looking and you'll be a stand out in the wet :D

I have one pair in black and one in white which I take over to France with me when down in the hills of the Alpes Maritime - they don't look quite as good in the grey damp English weather!

White kit is definatly the future, I have a few bits in white now and it looks cool when you start to get a bit of a tan again!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Arrrgh have you ever followed another cyclist wearing light coloured shorts... it's not a pretty sight

and before you say anything girls are too smart to wear that kinda colour :cry:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Arrrgh have you ever followed another cyclist wearing light coloured shorts... it's not a pretty sight

I had the white bibshorts and s/s jersey which is cool as....unfortunately a black sock in the wash and it is now a light grey. :( Still nice enough to get passing comments from the girls :lol: I'd love to get another white Tenax s/s shirt but can't locate any - all possibilities accepted :) .
  • musto_skiff
    Well I ordered then bibs from Evans but it turned out they were out of stock in the end to they offered me some alternatives at the same discounted price which I thought was a pretty fair deal.

The pad looks much thicker than on my other shorts; I will test them tonight.

My wife raised a fair question that I didn't have a answer for.

"Why have that silly hard saddle then put a pad in your shorts; why not just have a padded saddle & normal shorts"

I am sure you lot will be able to give me a good response to this ...
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Clever Pun wrote:

Theo Bos was wearing white lycra for revolution at the velodrome. I had a good look when I went into the middle of the track to watch the cyclists warming up.........good lord! I could see everything.........fascinating :oops: