First ever new bike!

markos1963
markos1963 Posts: 3,724
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Just got back from buying my first new proper road bike since 1982. I went to Fat Birds in Hunstanton, Norfolk and I can truthfully say it was worth the drive over. I was courteously served with no pressure and nothing was too much trouble. I was offered several test rides which I took full advantage of, adjustments were made as we went along so the best of each model could be assesed. I was amazed to find out that I was a 54cm sized rider and not a 56 as the charts on various web sites suggested and that all I needed to fit was a 120mm stem. This shows the wisdom of using a good LBS instead of guessing from a chart.

My main point to all the other beginers on here is to by all means look at the posts on the site and ask questions but get yourself down to a recommended shop and ask for help, its so much more reassuring when parting with big money.

The bike? An Orbea Onix with 105 groupset and WH550 wheels. I cant believe that I bought a carbon bike but the ride quality and stiffness was a relavation to me, and the fact that it only cost 750quid was the clincher. :D

Comments