Is there such a thing as cheap carbon drop bars?

geeteewmb
geeteewmb Posts: 2,221
edited March 2008 in Workshop
[Appreciate I'm asking a lot of question this afternoon, but just just getting back into road biking after more than 10 years. So apologies]

I'm after some wider bars as I feel cramped on the 44's that come on my bike. I am looking for 46's, but thought I may as well look at carbon drops while I'm at it, as they are supposed to be far comfier (sp?)

Anyone know where the cheapest place for a set of carbon drop bars is?

I saw a set on wiggle for £150, but that still seems expensive, or is that par for the course with carbon bars?

Also, what's the idea with these wing bars - they're new to me.

If it turns out they're too expensive, I may just opt for a set of cehaper alu ones, as you can pick them up for about £20

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Carbon bars aren't really that much more comfortable - waste of money really unless you're splashing out on a high end bike.

Aluminium bars are far more worthwhile - non-oversize alu bars will be more comfortable than oversize carbon bars.

I like my wing bars I find them comfortable - but some people don't.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • geeteewmb
    I'll stick to alu bars then.

What's the idea with wing bars, are they supposed to be comfier on the hands. I've seen that some folk only only put their bar tape just up past the hoods and leave the tops exposed...?
  • redddraggon
    I've taped mine all the way and got gel* underneath the tape, so they are pretty comfy. I like to tape mine all the way for two reasons, get to put gel under the tape, and it stops the concealed cables flapping about.

*gel would make the bars more comfortable, and cost far less than carbon bars.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • geeteewmb
    2 Q's -

Where to buy the gel?

Most bars seem to have double grooves (Ergo I'm guessing), but as I sun STI, where does that leave me? (Having to get a cable outer and run it along the back to make them feel round?)
  • redddraggon
    Gel - Fizik stuff is good - Wiggle/CRC etc have it.

It doesn't matter about the double groove, just tape over it, don't bother trying to fill it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr