Timing chip and Heart rate monitors

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
do you know if timing chips interfere with HR monitors?

Now, I was feeling really a bit rough yesterday and my breathing was really poor on the hills, but that surely can't explain my HR graphs from the Cheshire Cat yesterday. I typically ride 60 miles at average of 125 and the HR is usually dead on 125 for most of the ride - really flat. Yesterday I spent long stretches above 200 - it's a completely different looking graph with huge spikes up to 236. I'm wondering if the timing chip could in some way interfere? If not, then there is something seriously wrong with me :shock:

Comments

• trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    There are things that can interfere, I had no problems yesterday with my timing chip. But were you near someone else with a HRM that can interfere. Or power lines. You would know if your heart rate had been that high and I doubt you would have been cycling.
  • popette
    here's the graphs

Cheshire Cat HR vs Elevation

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/popette74 ... 4815500354

Week before - more hilly route around Buxton

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/popette74 ... 3405434962

:? why can't I put them in as pictures using the img tag?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never known any interference from them - they use them all the time for marathons and things and I've not heard of any problems or seen it myself - so I dont think that happens ?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    You might well get interference when you go over the timing mat (as a sudden sharp spike), but not from the chip on your bike as you ride round.

Were you riding with someone else also using a HRM and could get 'cross-talk' from theirs ?

Or using/near someone with a flashing LED light ?

Or were you warm (sweaty !) enough ? I've had HR readings of 220/230 at the start of a session, before getting sweaty enough for the HRM contacts to start recording properly.
  • popette
    andy_wrx wrote:
    You might well get interference when you go over the timing mat (as a sudden sharp spike), but not from the chip on your bike as you ride round.

Were you riding with someone else also using a HRM and could get 'cross-talk' from theirs ?

Or using/near someone with a flashing LED light ?

Or were you warm (sweaty !) enough ? I've had HR readings of 220/230 at the start of a session, before getting sweaty enough for the HRM contacts to start recording properly.

I had the gel stuff on to make sure of the contacts working. I did have a light on my back flashing at the start but then turned it off after a bit. My husband didn't have a HR monitor on but he did have a wireless computer (which didn't seem to be working properly on the day).

Thanks for your replies guys
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Riding under powerlines also give spikes. I'm pretty sure you would notice if your heart was racing though. Sometimes (rarely though) the HRM readings are just wrong.