Adivce on which RockHopper please

edgley
edgley Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Am about to buy my first bike, and I think its going to be Rockhopper, from Evens.

My problem is that there are so many difference ones to choose from, including years ( part of me loves getting last years when you see the savings that they offer:))

Could I get some advice as to which combo of gears and forks are the best please?
I guess it will be spending more time on the road than not, but I do want something that can take the bashing; and I love the idea of disk brakes.

Here are the ones on offer:
http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp;jse ... pt_id=3013

Thanks
Simon.

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    If you want discs,the 2007 version only has the 13" and 15" sizes left,which will be no good unless you are exceptionally small.
    In which case the 2008 Rockhopper disc,will do the job,just fine.
    I wouldn`t bother buying anything better if you are using it mainly on the road.Swap the tyres to slicks if you are using it mainly on road too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would say an 07 Rockhopper Comp, but they do not seem to be available from Evans. May find it somewhere else on the internet.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • edgley
    edgley Posts: 3
    Thanks.
    So going for the next one up at an extra £150 would only provide things that are needed if I was to spank it on a more regular basis? Rather than give me even better performance for my usage.

What I dont want to have to do is spend extra later on it if I can get it right at time of purchase.

Thanks,
    Simon.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edgley wrote:
    Thanks.
    So going for the next one up at an extra £150 would only provide things that are needed if I was to spank it on a more regular basis? Rather than give me even better performance for my usage.

What I dont want to have to do is spend extra later on it if I can get it right at time of purchase.

Thanks,
    Simon.

You`ll get lighter,slightly better performing forks,and a few other upgrades,like an upgraded rear mech,but for your usage,I don`t think you`ll notice.Its a pretty good spec out of the box,and it will take a bit of hammer off road,as it is.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    This sounds like me a month ago. Wanted an '07 Rockhopper Disc. Ended up buying an '08 Rockhopper Pro :roll:
    Unless your planning on doing serious offroad pretty soon, then i'd keep to your orginal plan of the Rockhopper Disc. The next model up of a bike is always going to be better, its where to draw the line on your budget - that was my downfall :?
    You'll be hard pushed to find an '07 model of any of the Rockhoppers in 17" and 19" by the way. I know i couldn't.