Formula Oro K18 front hose length - too short?!!

chrisbuck
chrisbuck Posts: 5
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I've just added formula oro K18 to my hardtail, and I can't mount the front brake on the right hand side, as the hose is too short. Front forks are reba team 85-115, and the length is ok at the 85 end, but the hose wants to rub against the tyre at the 115 end. The lever is as far left as it will go on the bars. I've mounted it on the left for the time being.

I have two options - keep the front brake on the left (I'm left handed and have been thinking about doing this anyway), or replace the hose with a longer one.

Does anyone have any comments on:
a. the front / left issue,
or
b. how easy is it to change the hose. Is there any particular type of hose I should use - are all hoses the same?

Cheers,
ChrisB.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    buy new hose. fit and bleed.

did you get them cheap from merlin? OE brakes with hoses cut to length.

Oh and if you have the front brake operated by your left hand you will be braking the law if you ride on the road.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    nicklouse wrote:
    buy new hose. fit and bleed.

did you get them cheap from merlin? OE brakes with hoses cut to length.

Oh and if you have the front brake operated by your left hand you will be braking the law if you ride on the road.

i hope that wasn't a 'break/brake' joke...

and is that really a law? :o my friend bought a Santa Cruz from America and ran it with 'flipped' brakes for years, until it was stolen...
  • Cheers Nick,

Well, looks like I've got to switch the break to r/h front.

I've ordered a bleed kit, some new goodridge hose and some dot4.

I'm sure it's easy enough to follow the instructions, however, when I disconnect the old hose, is dot4 going to pour out?
  • clipper
    clipper Posts: 60
    i've refitted a hose on an oro rear brake (it was too long so just used an oro hose kit to reconnect) and keeping the lever above the caliper at all times some fluid still came out but nothing a rag couldn't deal with. once the lever was removed i tipped the hose upside down into a bottle of dot4 and again very little came out. however, the instructions do recommend gloves and goggles just in case.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    god1406
    yes it is part of the highway code.

chrisbuck

read the bleeding instructions and watch out for the small O rings in the rear caliper.

If you do not have the manual then download it from Formulas webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown