Single Speed

daz51
daz51 Posts: 159
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hey Guys,

already replied to one post but i need some advice myself,

Does anyone have any thought on the Specialized Tricross single. I have a 4 mile round trip to work on some poor muddy roads.

I thought the tricross single would give me some good exercise for the road bike outings but at the same time keep matainance to a minimal with a lack of gears etc,

It comes with a 18t rear gear but i beleive i can change this to a 20t for a minimal price if i have to.

whats people thoughts on this bike ? or similar single speedrs ?

Daz

Comments

• doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    MY MTB is set up single speed. It does give you a workout. I cant giv eyou an advice on SSers in the road world, but I love my SS MTB.

I've got it set up with a 16th cog on the back and it gets me all around cambridge at a fairly fast pace.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    We'd need to know the number of teeth on the chain ring to be able to judge what gear you're ending up with. That, and the gradients on your ride to work of course. However, it does seem to be a bit extravagant to get a special bike for a 4 mile ride commute. After all, you could get the workout you want by resisting the temptation to change gear and staying in one gear all the time.

I assume you mean a single speed freewheel rather than fixed. I have ridden rough stuff on a single fixed road bike on about a 61" gear (46 x 20) but, while possible, can get a bit awkward in naggery sections :) Quite amusing though.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    Well Geoff,

firstly the bike is designed to stop my nice Specialized getting all salt and mud over in the Winter months and also allow me to get some tougher training in, in a shorter distance.

The wheel is a freewheel and not a fixed (I draw the line at a fixed wheel) and i beleive the rear is a 18 tooth and front is a 42.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    42x18 on 26" wheels isn't far off my 61" 46x20 and is good go anywhere gear.

I understand your desire to get a bike that saves your good 'un from the bane of winter salt which can ruin a bike quicker than anything. I used to have a 'shopping bike' which was an old Raleigh Lenton Sports frame with a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub gear (in fact it's still in the garage somewhere) perhaps an old frame with minimal and basic equipment would serve your needs more than adequately as well as removing the fear of theft. After all you won't need a fancy gear set up just a cheap crankset and a simple freewheel. Could be fun too. I'm sure there're loads of old ATB frames discarded in people's backyards that would more than serve. Why worry if it's a bit heavy - better training.

A racing friend of mine used to commute about 5 miles each way on a Raleigh RSW16 he'd found on a tip. I think it surprised a lot of people on 'racers' when he sailed past on his little shopper.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I'm with Geoff on this one! You really don't need to spend anything like that much for a single speeder for the duties you describe. GOOD quality '70s/'80s 10 speeds with horizontal d'outs can be had for a ton max. Swop rear to a s/s freewheel/remove one front ring if you feel the urge, but no need. Leave the block and the double and can even experiment with gearing.

Personally, I can see no point in a FREEWHEEL single: fixed, yes!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Maybe it's the current economic climate but I'm with the thrifty's! If money isn't an object then do it on the cheap anyway and treat the good bike to a nice upgrade or treat the wife to a weekend away.
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    Who knows, some like flash.

I know I do. Too bad my bike doens't have any :(

Singlespeeders are fun, i've been using them about a year now and make sure to carry a D lock with me everywhere since my bike is worth a little over a grand in parts.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)