New bike - sore bum, why?

Adamskii
Adamskii Posts: 267
edited April 2008 in Workshop
I bought a new (second hand) bike yesterday and went out for my first ride today. It's a Fondriest Dedda 7005 Alu with Campag Veloce and I'm generally very happy with it.

I did however start to get a sore bum more quickly than I usually would. Finding that there is fair amount of vibration transmitted up though the frame and seat post to my backside! The saddle is a San marco with a gel insert so in theory it should be more comfortable than some of the super light efforts. The seat post is a random alloy post. The wheels I'm using are pretty old with low spec mavic rims so should be more forgiving and I'm using Pro race 3 tyres at 110psi.

Any ideas???

Cheers.
It's all good.

Comments

• campagsarge
    campagsarge Posts: 434
    Have you used that saddle before? Your derrier may not be used to it, plus the gel insert may also have lost its gel properties which I believe can happen over time. I bought a San Marco Aspide saddle and boy that give me grief. It went on ebay after 2 weeks.

I now ride Specialized Alias and am not really happy with that either. I am now thinking about going old skool and getting a Concor Light. The best saddle I ever had was a Rolls saddle but these are now quite heavy in today's terms (although that did not stop Bradley Wiggins winning 2 World golds on one this last week).

Search on 'saddles' in this and any forum and you will get the same answer: they are such a personal choice that no one can recommend you one.

So, the saddle is one area that could be the cause of the pain.

You could think about investing in a carbon seat post as well, which should help dampening the ride. I purchased one last year and it really does help in dampening the road buzz.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Aluminium alloy frames do have a reputation for being quite harsh so probably contributes to your problem. If you have a fair length of seatpost exposed, then a lighter carbon or titanium post can help alleviate vibration, as would slightly fatter tyres run at a reduced pressure. Finally, a good pair of bike shorts can help too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Adamskii
    The bike has had done very little mileage so the saddle is relatively new. Is there a possibility that it'll take time to wear in?

My sellie Italia Flite on my other bike is years old and very comfortable but I'm not sure I can wait that long for comparable comfort!

There is a good length of post out of the frame so would swapping for a carbon post really make a difference?

Thanks for responding.
    It's all good.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Bradley probably had the Rolls on to keep the weight within limits, as track bikes should be light - the regs aren't much better than a fully geared bike.

I like my Rolls (hand me down) on the Commuter and the Regal on the training bike....I do find the Flite Ti splits me in two on the best bike though.......
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Have you checked the height of the bars to the seat, you may have not enough weight on your hands and be putting slightly more through your seat?
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Almost certainly to do with the saddle (either it doesn't suit you, or is just too hard in the wrong places), or a different position compared to your old bike. The relatively high pressure in your tyres probably doesn't help. Very unlikely to be anything to do with the frame material (since the difference that makes is negligible). I'd suggest swapping the saddle (another Flite if you get on with them), and dropping your tyre pressure a little.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    This post could so easily have been called 'Old bike, sore bum, why?'.

Basically, your ar*e/saddle need time to break in and then continue to be used regularly.
  • Raph
    Raph Posts: 249
    Fist of all - if you were comfortable with a Flite then try and find another one the same, then check it's at the same angle as on other bike that you're comfortable on, and same distance from the bars and same distance behind the vertical line from the bottom bracket.

However if you're keen to persevere with the current saddle...

Sorry to get intimate, but which bit of your bum is getting sore? If it's the soft stuff just behind yer goolies then the shape/angle of the saddle is wrong for you. I find I need to sit on the bones of my @rse, not the squishy bit behind my balls, and soft gel saddles are generally less comfortable because once the bones have sunk through the gel, other areas of the saddle are pressing up against my nuts, or the bits just behind them.

To get a good position, the tilt of the saddle is important - if I tilt it forwards, I get less pressure on the sensitive forward stuff, but what tends to happen is I then slide forwards while riding, ending up on the narrow bit, and have to keep hitching back onto the wide comfy bit - if I tilt the saddle slightly back (i.e. nose up), it looks like it'll crush my gonads but effectively it means I stay on the wide bit and actually I get less pressure on the wrong bits.

The frame material may or may not be irrelevant but the stiffness of the frame does make a difference, albeit only slight. There are lots of arguments on the net about whether a stiff frame makes any difference to ride comfort, with lots of incomplete science being thrown in to prove right one opinion or another. Much more relevant is to get all the other things right first. I have a touring bike which is made of 531ST and an old Bottechia Columbus SL, and I've tried the same saddle, same wheels, tyres, bars and stem on both, the 531 is hard up the @rse and the Bottechia is velvet. Should be the other way round! SO I've gone for a Flite with a hole in the middle - it's pretty good. Haven't done more than about 60 miles at a stretch since getting that saddle, but it's the most comfortable so far, despite being the least cushioned.
  • Adamskii
    Rode it to work today and it's damn sore!

It's not my arse as such which is the problem but the central bit just behind my nads! As far as I can tell the load isn't evenly spread across the saddle so I probably need to find different shaped saddle that suits me. The problem is how do you know what shape is best?

Anyway I decided to go down to Hewitt on my lunch and have a chat to them about it. They think it could be a combination of things with the saddle and my position on the bike. So I'm going back for a fitting next week.

I hope they can get it right!
    It's all good.
  • Raph
    Raph Posts: 249
    I thought that might be it - it's rare for a bum to get sore, after all they're meant for sitting on. But goolies are a different matter. Also if your upper body position is different it affects which bit you're sitting on - e.g. if your bars are lower, you roll onto your nads.

Try the thing of tilting the saddle back slightly and lowering it - so you sit further back on it.

Best of all as I said before is get another saddle like your other one that you reckon is ok, though you might still have to fiddle around a bit to get it right.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Swap the saddles over for starters ? Some saddles just dont work for some people.
  • Adamskii
    Back on the old bike this morning as it's wet and it's oh sooo nice and comfortable, shame it weight a ton.

I'm going to wait and see what Hewitt cycles can do for my position before I try swapping saddles.

It just goes to show that buying a bike that looks about the right size and fit doesn't guarantee it'll actually be comfortable!
    It's all good.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Theres so much to take into consideration.

Frame materials - tyre sizes - geometry - saddle - saddle position...

But from what I've seen here - it could all be down to you just not getting on with the saddle. Mark the position you have on the saddle on the old bike and then swap the saddle over. Sorted.
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    I think any new saddle hurts a bit until your bum bones have got used to it. A bit like shoes.

I have a Spesh Toupe Gel and I love it.
  • Dai_bach
    Dai_bach Posts: 16
    Is your new saddle much narrower than the old one, specifically the rearward part? If so you might not be able to put any weight onto your ischial bones (the ones behind your gluteal or bum muscle) which should be carrying the majority of the load. This being the case, then all the load will be carried by squishy, sensitive bits. Not nice!
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    Why not swap saddles from your old bike to your new one? If it's then comfy then you know for sure it's the saddle and you'll have saved yourself a large amount of money for the fitting.
  • Adamskii
    I'll try swapping saddles before I go for a fitting. Cheers.

How come you weren't out on Sunday Paul?! A couple of newbies said you were coming out.
    It's all good.
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    I just couldn't get myself out of bed! Did 5-6 hours on Saturday in the rain, then had to drive some friends to Manchester and back in the evening for a party. And with the clocks changing I just didn't manage to get myself out of bed in time. Set the alarm but only really came too at around 9.00. Hmm. :oops:

I was tired all day and ended up just chilling in the afternoon in a coffee house with the better half. All my stuff was still soaking from the Saturday anyway, so I wasn't very motivated to put any of it on... :roll: