British Cycling Best Idea

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited March 2008 in The bottom bracket
I was watching the cycling on BBC yesterday and was impressed by the attitude of Rebecca Romero & British Cycling. She said that when she won silver at a previous event all BC did was give her a slap on the back and then it was never mentioned again. i.e only GOLD is good enough.

Do you think this is the attitude ALL British sports/teams should have??

How many times have we watched coverage of an event and the whole nation seems to be getting excited about winning silver or bronze??

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Do you think this is the attitude ALL British sports/teams should have??

Gretna FC have finished 2nd in 23 games so far this season.
    (Only the history books care)
    Valentino Rossi just finished 2nd at the Spannish MotoGP
    (Never saw it but it's Pedrossa that will be known for winning it)
    Asiatic Boy finished 2nd in this years Dubai World Cup
    (Only used that cos I can't be bothered finding the full results for last years Grand National)

Silver and Bronze are consolation prizes, runners up medals if you want. Everyone loves a winner (though if the bookie pays out for worse...)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Watched Victoria Pendleton come second this evening - there was an element of expectation of gold from the commentators (& probably in the crowd), however, she was outclassed by the American girl & it was a photo finish for second.

Afterwards she looked devastated & probably would have liked to get away from the cameras for a good cry (don't blame her).

She received plenty of support from the rest of the team but it seemed like commiseration rather than congratulation. Still two golds & a silver is not bad for this level of competition.

Well done all of the GB team, it is not often we get to lead the medal table in a World Championship :)
    Ride On ...
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I too watched the race.

She looked devastated, and while i don't take pleasure in her not getting gold it was nice to see a British sports person actually visibly upset at only getting Silver.

Just a shame it was an American that won :mrgreen:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Bless her, I'd have given her a hug.....I think she's only got herself to blame though

still at least it will keep her focussed for the olympics perhaps?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver