shimano hone chainset

greigcluck
greigcluck Posts: 125
edited March 2008 in MTB buying advice
thinking of buying hone chainset can anyone tell me if bottom bracket comes with it? cheers.[/i][/b]

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    For the HTII ones yes, make sure you get the double/bash combo. As that is much much better than the triple (stronger lighter axle) as well as steel pedal inserts.
  • greigcluck
    thanks, it was the htII ones, was going to get the triple, hope its ok, cheers mate.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The middle and outer chainrings will wear like nobodies business.

I got the triple version and converted it to a 22/34/bash ring setup using Blackspire rings and bash ring.

The cro-mo inserts don't actually make that much difference unless you're particularly ham-fisted, ride like a gorilla or are going to be changing pedals regularly. Make sure that you install the washers provided between the pedals and the crank arm though.

I've had mine for about 2 years now without any problems.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've had a long discussion about these on another forum, and i'll summarise the main points. The two places hollowtech cranks are likely to fail are the splines on the axle and the pedal threads.

The major issue with the pedals is not installation etc but hutting pedals hard on rocks etc and from there stripping the threads out.
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    there is actually a big difference between the dual ring Hone and the triple ring Hone

the dual ring Hone actually has a thicker axle, and hence uses the nylon tension cap from the Saint crank, in addition to the cromoly steel pedal inserts and steel pedal washer

this means that the crank is considerably tougher than the triple ring hone,which is actually a rebadged LX HT2 crank

both good cranksets, but for more aggressive riding the Hone dual is the better option for longetivity
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • greigcluck
    thanks for the advice every one, dual ring it is then.