Avid Juciy 3 Disk brake problems

chrisdf
chrisdf Posts: 21
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm a bit a novice when it comes to disk brakes.

I have just been to the shop to have a spoke replaced

I come back put the wheel back in (back) go to turn the bike back over and the back wheel fell out (want fastend fully) now the brake pads are locked shut, to make things worse i then took out the front wheel to compare the barkes and the fornt pads have shut?

ooops

what do i do to get the pads to open again?

thanks

Comments

• cunning-stunt
    cunning-stunt Posts: 614
    edited March 2008
    Edited.
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • chrisdf
    chrisdf Posts: 21

Sorry no manual

(and no fucking clue either)
  • Apologies,that was a tad harsh,and edited.

Did you pull the lever while the rotor was out??
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • I've had this problem before. Lol it is a pain. You should have a 'pad separator' that came with the brakes (red thing). I threw mine away, but you might be able to buy them. If not, use a thin piece of wood or something. Gently try to prise the pads apart. It will take some time and you will probably need to take the brakes off the bike to do it. If the pads are really tight shut then you might need to use something like a screwdriver to get them apart. However, you might need to get new pads if you do this.

My advice - don't squeeze the brake lever with the rotors out!
  • Rory T
    Rory T Posts: 116
    Remove the brake pads from the caliper then using a screwdriver or end of spanner push the pistons back into the bores of the caliper. Fit the pads back into place and.....fingers crossed should be back to normal. In future either use the spacer provided or stick a stiff piece of cardboard in between to avoid them sticking again.
  • is a good advice to keep a well fashioned seperator is you store or transport the bike with the wheels off i find. we tend to do trails with bikes stacked in the abck of an escourt so i keep a spacer to stop accidental lever squeezage with three bikes atop one another
    Train hard, ride easy
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    a 2p piece fits perfectly between a pair of pads.

I got that tip off here :)

edit: a broad, flat bladed screwdriver between the pads, then gently lever them apart, being careful not to break the pad surface with the edges of the 'driver. It can take a while to make any headway with this technique, but stick at it and it works.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    really, i reckon you could get a quid in...
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    well i reckon i could get any denomination of coinage inbetween my pads.

feel my girth.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    'feels'

woefully inadequate