Alternatives to the saddle bag?

COVEC
COVEC Posts: 213
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,
Are there any suitable alternatives to the humble saddle bag on the market, I like the ammount of gear I can get into the bag. However, I dislike the asthetics of the bag under my seat. Something that attaches to my spare bottle bolts would be nice :D

COVEC

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Use an old bottle and cut the top off - used to do this years ago for club runs.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Jersey pockets
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • luke2792
    luke2792 Posts: 37
    heres an idea - never used it before

it requires using your seatpost as the container

heres a link for a description http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-seatpost-toolkit/
  • Pro do a storage bottle (500 or 750 ml) - search ebay using 'bicycle storage bottle' or similar. Epic cycles stock them, as do these guys - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/St-John-Street-Cycles-01278-441500
    I have the 750ml, fits neatly in bottle holder, screw top makes it a bit more secure and watertight than cannibalised drinks bottle.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Jersey pockets

Not a good idea for hard items. Anything hard in a jersey pocket can change a minor tumble into a serious back injury. The reason road racers don't carry saddle bags is because they have motorised support throughout an event. Do you?

I really don't understand poseurs who put appearance before practicality. Must be my age :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    I really don't understand poseurs who put appearance before practicality. Must be my age :)

I hope you don't mean me?

dsc00608mk0.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I sometimes use a bumbag... but get odd looks from everyone else. :?

And when I go for MTB rides and I need water, I take a camelbak (mainly cause my MTB frame doesn't have any bottle mounts)
  • Put it all in a bottle in a bottle cage. If you run out of cages: http://tinyurl.com/2q9lt8.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    That link doesn't work if you include the full stop.
  • geoff_ss
    Geoff_SS wrote:

I hope you don't mean me?

dsc00608mk0.jpg

Why on earth should you think that? :)

This is my saddle bag. Plenty of room for tools, sandwiches (very important) and extra clothes (also important last year)

2372530648_3002e7efe8.jpg

Geoff
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I fitted a Specialized under saddle bag to my bike. It was great for carrying minor bits and bobs however the velcro straps holding it in place managed to destroy my Assos bib shorts by chaffing against the material - I was completely oblivious until it was too late. I'll know in future to check there are no exposed velcro edges - expensive mistake!

Peter
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    This may not be something you like, but I usually ride with a Camelback. Not sure if you get them here in England since I only just got here, but they offer many versions of it.

It's a water container for your back that has storage space. I've got a 3 litre one that holds plenty of stuff, and isn't too heavy on the back when riding. Does'nt look too bad either.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    This is my saddle bag. Plenty of room for tools, sandwiches (very important) and extra clothes (also important last year)

Sandwiches? You could fit a whole poulet roti in there :D
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    GeorgeShaw wrote:

MMMMM french chicken. Sounds good to me.

You got yourself one hell of a ride geoff.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I sometimes use a bumbag... but get odd looks from everyone else. :?

And when I go for MTB rides and I need water, I take a camelbak (mainly cause my MTB frame doesn't have any bottle mounts)

Been meaning to ask about this... are camelbaks seen as some sort of evil? I kind of get that impression
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • geoff_ss
    GeorgeShaw wrote:

It's only just big enough for a baguette plus whatever else we're intending for our picnic. Definitely not poulet - we're vegetarians :)

Camel backs? My only objection to things like back packs and camel backs is that I've long held the view that the bike, rather than the rider, should carry the load.

Geoff
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Its clearly not meant for carrying bulky items, but I've seen a few places doing a bag that attaches to your top tube and stem. Good enough for wallets, mobile phones, etc. I think Wiggle do them, and even Halfords too.