Regaining confidence after a crash

don key
don key Posts: 494
edited March 2008 in Pro race
I met my neighbour this evening coming home on his racer, he tells me he cant get his confidence back after breaking his arm in a crash. He didnt do to much detail but said he was a danger to himself as his confidence level is shattered. I told him I left blood all over the road in Camden on the way to work, they were getting the ambulance and everything, I got back on my feet, put the chain back on and bid them good day and promptly broke the 19 minute record for getting to work. The boss saw the state of me and told me to go home, I refused as losing hundreds on the bike and then another 100 for missing work was to much to bear. I managed the day but was sore for a week and although not comparable as his arm was broken and my empathy is high but I have either a mental block for his condition or else I just cant associate with this mindset.Same thing really.

What are the best steps to take to get it back after the crash. I told him I would ask for him on a site and for me its important as I dont like a man to suffer, there must be a standard approach to this, help?

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    This might be a good question to post in the Training section. Among the regulars there are Alex from Australia who lost a leg in a crash and now blogs about returning to the bike. The Training folk might be able to give some good advice.

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    vermooten wrote:
    This might be a good question to post in the Training section. Among the regulars there are Alex from Australia who lost a leg in a crash and now blogs about returning to the bike. The Training folk might be able to give some good advice.

Andy

Thanks vermooten, we used to have a Colombian guy at Eastway who rode with one leg, he had the most amazing upper body strenght, one day his foot came out of the cleat at 25 mph and he forced himself back onto the saddle with these massive biceps, he would stay with us until the last lap or so when the pace got to much for him.

I would move it over to training but I dont know how and am to tired to retype it now ,cheers
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    don key wrote:
    am to tired to retype it now ,cheers
    Cut & paste it into a new topic

I think the only way to regain your confidence is to get back on the bike asap. The first few rides after I've had a tumble are always a bit nervous, but I always seem to get back into it. Never had a really bad stack myself though thank God (broken collarbone being the worst so far).