Bike buddies round stoke on trent!!!!!!

nukeproofgiant
nukeproofgiant Posts: 10
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
any 1 get out around stoke on trent much i try and go as much as possable. any 1 else get the same idea come out wednesdays 6:30 at the pochars cottage (A34) nr trentham gardens
get loads of fun even if your realitivly un fit

Comments

• Have you tried Dimmingsdale area? it is just outside Cheadle,Staffs

It may make a nice change and become somewhere else to ride.

See here http://www.27gears.com/trails.html#Dimmingsdale
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • i have but its a bit far

for us stokies its more of a summer ride to make a day of not just a quick hr ride
  • ollie_d
    ollie_d Posts: 701
    i ride in stoke, well on the staffordshire/cheshire border, since thats where i live. used to go over to trentham on the dh bike
    I rode my My Gran Mal off a Roof

My Acid
  • ollie_d

Do you ride Macc forest? or Apedale nr Chesterton/audley?
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • nukeproofgiant

A bit wet this time of year but what about Hanchurch woods? that can be a bit of a 1hr-2hr blast?
    www.27gears.com

• ollie_d
    ollie_d Posts: 701
    Yeah i get over to macc dh as much as i can. is an awesome track.
    I rode my My Gran Mal off a Roof

My Acid
  • chatters
    chatters Posts: 107
    Hi,does anyone else on this thread ride apedale woods, stoke on trent?
    pinkbike.com/photo/790916
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    chatters wrote:
    Hi,does anyone else on this thread ride apedale woods, stoke on trent?

I'm more over the trentham/hanchurch woods area but have been meaning to take a look over at apedale
    have you ridden there chatters, any good??
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Yeah Apedale is pretty good, I don't go there all that often but it is a good technical blast, best bit is the wooded area.
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i live in stoke and i ride in cannock chase, great biking to be had there
    what are brakes for again
  • Tel39
    Blundell wrote:
    Yeah Apedale is pretty good, I don't go there all that often but it is a good technical blast, best bit is the wooded area.

Cheers Blundell, sounds good, think I might just take a look over the weekend then
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • Blundell
    Yeah, if you go in mainly by the silverdale entrance I think you get into the wooded area straight away. There's some good singletrack with roots around to keep ya on ya toes. It's a pretty small compressed area though.

Do you still go from the poachers on a wednesday night?
  • Tel39
    Blundell wrote:
    Yeah, if you go in mainly by the silverdale entrance I think you get into the wooded area straight away. There's some good singletrack with roots around to keep ya on ya toes. It's a pretty small compressed area though.

Do you still go from the poachers on a wednesday night?

Well im still learning so it'll be good to check it out. Not ridden from the poachers, is that an organised meeting then?
    There's a xc meeting at hanchurch tomorrow with a full days riding for all ages should be good, first race at 11 i think.
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • Blundell
    Yeah I had a ganders at the course the other weekend, it's pretty sweet. Nice and technical up the top of Hanchurch hills. Then it has a great downhill run pretty much down to the central path. Then you're on to the perimeter winding up to the U then finally climbing gently up to the start line through a fire road and a good bit of single track. About 5 miles in total. Martyn, the chap who's got the race organised has done a pretty good job.

Yeah about the rides on a Wednesdays at 6:30 from the poachers, I got my wires crossed! That was posted by the original author of the thread (nukeproofgiant)! Sorry I just can't read properly.
  • kaiserman
    kaiserman Posts: 3
    Hey guys I am a noob, I am just getting back into riding and I am not familiar with the places to ride here, can anyone tell me how to get to the Hanchurch woods?

Cheers
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    Search for the postcode ST4 8SN on google maps mate....

Comes out in the middle of a field, but you should see all of the woods next to it...

Haven't got a clue where there is parking round there though... anyone?
  • kaiserman
    Perfect, thanks a lot, I will hopefully check it out this weekend.

I am thinking of getting a new bike too, I have checked out Brian Rourke and Swinnerton any other recommendations? I am into Cannondales (I am on my second right now, hoping to make it a third!)

Thanks
  • snakebite
    snakebite Posts: 342
    Swinnertons no longer deal in Cannonfails...but do stock nicer Commencals and Kona's :D with some nice demo models as well...drop em a message re demo's
  • kaiserman
    Well I found Hanchurch woods on Friday and loved it! Last week I bought a Specialized FSRxc Expert and gave a it a good thrash around the woods. We are now planning on heading to Cannock Chase.
  • Blundell
    Rourke's do Cannondales.. they also do Scotts (for what it's worth :wink: ).

Good place is Hanchurch.. it has some nice little hidden treasures.
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    Where's good to park in Hanchurch woods then guys?
  • Blundell
    Probably best to park at the largest car park which is at the top of draycott lane right opposite to the wardens house. It's at the top of the hills so you have both sides of the woods to go at.

Might go there tonight.. for my second ride of the day! It's only the Greeks vs russians on tv
  • bails_89
    bails_89 Posts: 143
    hello

do any of you guys still ride from potagers cottage?
    its only 5 minutes from where i live and would be handy:)
    cheers

chris
    Its not about the bike....
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I don't know about the Potagers Cottage lot, but I am probably going to Hanchurch on Saturday for a slow blast as I get used to having a hardtail again!
  • bails_89
    bails_89 Posts: 143
    sounds good, i normally play football on saturdays but the games been called off this week.

would you mind if i tagged along?

do you park on the sports clubs?

cheers chris
    Its not about the bike....
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    bails_89 wrote:
    sounds good, i normally play football on saturdays but the games been called off this week.

would you mind if i tagged along?

do you park on the sports clubs?

cheers chris

Always good to meet new cycling mates :)

We are meeting at a Mates house & will be by the water tower at circa 9am? I am on a White Orange P7 with two other guys (one with a giant full sus).