why is cavendish not the lead out man for the team sprint ?

jimycooper
jimycooper Posts: 740
edited April 2008 in Track
i follow track but am relatively new to it and was wondering why someone with the accelaration of mark cavendish does not lead out chris hoy?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Cav is an endurance rider (ie scratch race / points race / madison) where the events last 10+ minutes. He has top end speed at the end of a fast race.

Pure track sprinting is more about explosive anaerobic power (0-60kph asap) which Cav would need to bulk himself up for which would do his road riding no good at all. Would be interesting to put Cav up against Hoy just to see what would happen, but I think Cav would be very much left for dead.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Hoy vs Cavendish... Would look something like this I expect.....!!

david_goliath.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sprinting at the end of a 200km race is very different from a standing start - Hoy's peak power output is something like in excess of 2000watts - I doubt there's many road riders that can exceed 1500watts. Besides, you need physical presence to hold your position in match sprinting - Cav would simply get bounced off his line.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    To be the lead out man (Second slot) you'd need to be on the wheel of the first rider at the end of the first lap, not 20 yards behind.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Bronzie wrote:
    Cav is an endurance rider (ie scratch race / points race / madison) where the events last 10+ minutes. He has top end speed at the end of a fast race.

Pure track sprinting is more about explosive anaerobic power (0-60kph asap) which Cav would need to bulk himself up for which would do his road riding no good at all. Would be interesting to put Cav up against Hoy just to see what would happen, but I think Cav would be very much left for dead.

Not sure why he would have to bulk up, Ross Edgar is not that big? :D
    Neither is Vicky !!

Would be interesting tosee what Cav's 200m time is on track, also the kilo, that would give a better idea if he could do it or not.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    I can't see him hanging onto a fast start..... we would welcome him into our club's B team sprint, tho'....... :wink:
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.