Shimano Front Derailleur Types

stumpyjon
stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok who knows what the difference is between an FD-M770 and FD-M772? I know they are both top swing and dual pull but I can't work out what the difference is, been looking at the Shimano site for half an hour and can't work it out.

Just to check, I've got an FD-M771 at the moment (down swing) but the clamp is fouling on a boss for a bottle cage so I'm assuming I need the top swing version instead. I'm also assuming that dual pull means that the cable can come at the mech from top or bottom. The frame it's going on is a Kinesis Maxlight XC Pro II and the cable comes down the seatpost from the saddle.

Help much appreciated.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chainstay angle. M772 is for the angles found on a treking bike, Chainstay Angle63 to 66 degrees

while the M770 has Chainstay Angle66 to 69 degrees.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Cheers Nick

it does say that on the description, just didn't mean anything to me. Right I need an FD-M770 then to replace the FD-M771.

Doesn't help Shimano have captioned the FD-M772 as a Top Swing Rear Derailleur :shock:

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/cyc ... 6735117348
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Right I need an FD-M770 then to replace the FD-M771.
    Correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown